Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to homing pigeons and have read alot on this forum. The best advice I have read is to use screws instead of nails. I swear I have changed something in my small loft everyday for the last two weeks and know what I want in my next one. I have been putting my yb in a cage on the landing board every morning for a week. They sit in there for half a hour. I place the feed and call them. I open the inside door and thru the bobs they storm. Now I am taking them out and just setting them on the board, they jump and fly around trying to get back in right away, the inside bob door is closed. They seem more interested in getting back in then looking around. My question is should I force them to stay outside for awhile each time, trap door closed. Or should I just let them come back inside as fast as they want, I am going to try racing. I'm torn because I know the need to get flying soon, but you also want them to learn to trap quickly. Im leaning towards leaving the bob door closed for a half hour each morning, which does seem to fustrate them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
yeah for my first time with my YB's i did the same thing. cept i kept them on the landing board for 2 weeks...and when i call them in they would run right in...but during these weeks as i let them go back into the loft to eat i move them back 5 feet away from the bob traps and the landing board and the would either run/walk/fly right into the traps, thats when i know i can let them loft fly. well it worked for me not saying you have to do it. but just saying. and nice looking YB's! did u buy em or breed them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought some of them at a racing auction and some were given to me. I had no idea what I was looking at in the auction, but it was fun. I just picked ones that looked cool and I could afford. My two favorites are a tort colored one and a almost all black one. The little black one is small, very strong, and hard to hold onto. It really seems to have a attitude.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Dont Force Them To Anything At This Point,just Open The Door And Leave It Open Allow Them To To In And Out As They Whant Dont Scare Them Off The Board They Need To Feel Safe On The Board And Around You Dont Hyde From Them Just Be Slow Around Them.good Luck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I put my Yb's in the settling cage for 2 weeks to trap train and let them get used to the surroundings and then let them out. Very nice loft.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Don't force them to do anything. Let them do as they please I have 1 or 2 YB that would stay inside but they have started venturing out now, they eventually get the hang of things.

You guys are all lucky. My birds don't like to respond to the feed call when they are outside only when they are trapped in in my aviary.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't force them to do anything. Let them do as they please I have 1 or 2 YB that would stay inside but they have started venturing out now, they eventually get the hang of things.

You guys are all lucky. My birds don't like to respond to the feed call when they are outside only when they are trapped in in my aviary.
yeh it takes time for mines to understand the feed call to when they are out loft flying but i've managed to get them respond and come in. The feeling of accomplishment when your birds understand your feed call, its amazing, just wait a little and they'll come. lol

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I am new to homing pigeons and have read alot on this forum. The best advice I have read is to use screws instead of nails. I swear I have changed something in my small loft everyday for the last two weeks and know what I want in my next one. I have been putting my yb in a cage on the landing board every morning for a week. They sit in there for half a hour. I place the feed and call them. I open the inside door and thru the bobs they storm. Now I am taking them out and just setting them on the board, they jump and fly around trying to get back in right away, the inside bob door is closed. They seem more interested in getting back in then looking around. My question is should I force them to stay outside for awhile each time, trap door closed. Or should I just let them come back inside as fast as they want, I am going to try racing. I'm torn because I know the need to get flying soon, but you also want them to learn to trap quickly. Im leaning towards leaving the bob door closed for a half hour each morning, which does seem to fustrate them. Any advice would be appreciated.
Okay, I think you have thing under control now but are nervious about letting your birds out for the first time . Its always hard to do but you need to trust the birds that they will be ok. I let my YBs out today for the first time and they went everywere. Some spent most of the day in trees and some didn't want to fly and some flew their wings off. Mine should have been let out weeks ago but the wind and bad weather put a stop to that, Today was the first day with sun and no wind so I opened the trap without the settling cage some took to the air right away and others were shy, but in the end all flew today. Still many not in the loft at 5 pm so I let some OBs out to try to bring my YBs out of the trees and down to the loft, it worked and I have two misssing YBs with the OB tonight so I feel good about that.

I also want to say that sooner or later you will need to open the trap so your birds can fly , I see you have a fence close and the birds don't have much to look at but they will need to get the chance develop and learn the lay of your land. There is a chance you will loose some but the longer you wait the worse it gets. Pick a nice day with sun and no wind and let them grow. Don't force them to fly let them be the judge of when they want to fly and if they land somewhere else other than your loft its ok they will get back to their home in their own time .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far so good. I have placed all 18 out on the landing board 3 times keeping the bob door closed. 6 of them are taking short flights around my yard and landing on the different buildings. 4 of the youngest birds just sit on the board. The rest of them fly from the top of the loft to the shed near by and look around. This morning I just sat back and watched for 30 minutes then went and opened the bob door. I placed their feed tray and called to them. Once the 4 on the board started going thru the bobs everybody flooded in. After seeing what they do at this young age, I think I was worring to much about fly aways. I will post how the morning goes and take some pictures. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
466 Posts
This is the time when patience is so important. We all can't wait until they are flying and routing. However, do not try to rush them because they all mature at different rates. Do not try to spoke them to get them to fly. That can be disastrous. They will eventually start flying, let them do it at their own pace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All went well for the first half hour. Then the birds all got up and scattered. I lost my first bird to a hawk. I never saw where it came from. That really sucked. I got pretty nervous because of birds flying everywhere. After 10 minutes they were all back in the loft except 1. I saw him flying around to different buildings in the neighborhood. 2 hours later he came back in. I will have to keep a better eye out for the hawks. I knew they are in the area but I've never actually seen them by my house.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
You should consider yourself lucky, that you got them back after a scatter and that the hawk didn't get anyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts