Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first real Yb season, last year we did not have YB racing we raced yearlings with old birds. I had a long time to train and get them out. They loft fly almost every day and i have started basketing them up and have taken them down the road about 6-7 times up to about a 2miles. I have talked to some of the other fliers and they are not training for at least another month or so, they said no big hurry, but it took me almost all season to get them out to 75 miles last year, I felt that i did a good job of training only lost one bird on road trips. But I took it very slowly, but feel like I will have to hurry for YBs. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would do whatever makes sense to you. If it helps take notes on your training trips, how the birds did on each one, and then when next year comes you can reflect back on what you thought worked and what didnt make decisions from there. To me there is nothing more valuable then what you learn from your own experience.

We do our first training toss from about 8 miles, i feel if your birds are routing like they should be there is not reason they should not do this with any problems, by the 6 th or 7th toss i like to be at the 20 to 25 mile toss and then sit there for a few weeks. Take a few weeks off and then start training again 1 month prior to the first race. I would get out to atleast 75 miles and sit there letting my birds build up there muscle and endurance. Now there is so many different ways to train pigeons it will make your head spin, so this is why initially said do what makes sense to you.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips, I will slow train out to about 20 miles than pick it up. If anyone else wants to leave advice feel free:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts