Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I recived twenty (20) YBs that I purchased from another loft. I'm guessing they are about five weeks old. They have lost their down and some are able to fly up to some of the lower level perches.

After vaccinating all of them I placed in the loft, one-by-one, through the Sputnik entrance. All are doing well this morning. They have access to the Sputnik avaiary.

How long should I wait before I begin trap training by placing them on the settling board before feeding? Two weeks?

Because they will be older and able to fly, should I wash/wet their feathers before placing them on the board?

This is my first time with 'kit' birds and the Sputnik. Just trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would give them about 5 days to settle in then start your training.. you can do the feed call now and everyday when you feed.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Yesterday I recived twenty (20) YBs that I purchased from another loft. I'm guessing they are about five weeks old. They have lost their down and some are able to fly up to some of the lower level perches.

After vaccinating all of them I placed in the loft, one-by-one, through the Sputnik entrance. All are doing well this morning. They have access to the Sputnik avaiary.

How long should I wait before I begin trap training by placing them on the settling board before feeding? Two weeks?

Because they will be older and able to fly, should I wash/wet their feathers before placing them on the board?

This is my first time with 'kit' birds and the Sputnik. Just trying to figure it out.
I would open it up and let them venture out now, since you are using a Sputnik, you could place a step for them to hop up on and walk out and look around. The only problem with this method is that there will always be a Houdini in the bunch, and will soon figure out how to exit through the Sputnik without the step. And then they share their secret with others, which is why I no longer use a Sputnik anymore. :cool:

When I have done it this way in the past, the birds would all figure it out over a couple days and trap train themselves. Never bothered with having to "train" them as I never forced them out onto the landing board.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Sputnik is a two hole HABRU. It has a clear door from the landing board, over the two holes that lead dowwn into the base of the Sputnik. The area in the base of the Sputnik is about 2 x 4 x 2 with a wire bottom. I've given them free access to the bottom area to become familiar with the Sputnik and the outside area. Many of them are sitting out there in the sun as a I type.

Below the wire bottom is a slide-out 'acclimization board' that I can extend and place the birds on to begin to train them to fly up to the landing board and enter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts