Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had started my YB training about 3 weeks ago. I have been taking it slow with the training because of the heat and that's the way i like to train. I have about 60 YB's but not all are being training because of molting. I have about 25 that I am currently taking out and will be adding more as the seem ready. Today I took them only a mile more than the last release which was 4 miles. They did circle for about 2 min and took off in the wrong direction, which is normal i have seen them do that and beat me home before. But today it took 2 hrs for about half of them to get home and the rest came in one at a time til dark. I do believe they are all back. I wiil let them rest and take them back to the same spot on Tues. Any ideas besides hawks?

I usually train in the evening not the morning because of work would that make a difference?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Training late in the day is not preferred,but if your a working man,it has to be done that way...Allways give your birds 3 hours of daylight to get home...Sometimes these short tosses are more dangerous then if you took them 10 miles...They know where they are at when you toss 5 miles or less,and usally they will trip and have fun flying around...If you want to make them come straight home,loft fly them first...When they trap,basket them up and take them down the road..Since they are a little tired from loft flying,they will come straight home...Do not feed them after the loft flying..Just put some canary seed in the feeder for them as a reward for traping after loft flying..Feed them their meal after they return from the training toss...Allways make sure you have plenty of daylight for them,just in case they are mixing with other pigeons being trained...Alamo

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I had the same deal on short flights because the birds play and did not come home. What I have done this year was change up my training. When loft flying I just let them fly, but with basket training I do not feed them until they come home. I started by catching them, putting them in the baskets and setting them in the yard. After about five minutes I let the birds watch me put feed in the loft and ring my cow bell. Then i release them. At first they do not trap but after ten minutes I always remove the feed so the birds do not eat. After about two weeks of this the birds learn what I call the basket-trap-feed training. When the birds fly strait from the basket to the loft to eat they are ready for road training. After putting the birds in the truck I put feed in the loft and take the bell with me at first. As I release them I ring the bell and they fly for home. I drive home and remove the food when I get there, (if the birds eating are done.) Later I just ring the bell as we leave the loft to the drop off point, but always remove the food when I drive back. If the birds do well I open the loft for loft flying.

My training is this. If the bird flys out of the loft, he can fly all he wants and trap when he's ready. But if he flys out of a basket, he best hightail it home if he wants to eat.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Agree with what is said take them out longer. I don't know why but they come better from farther away. You may loose some but these may have been the ones holding the rest up and messing around. Even with my highly trained yb team (at least 50 tosses on them) if I take them 10 miles it seems they want 1 hour in the wing and don't come back until then. If I take them 50 miles they get home in the same time.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the same birds out to the same spot yesterday and they were at home waiting when I arrived, so maybe like you all said they are just flying around. I think that I will take them to the same spot today and maybe on thursday move them about 2 miles down the road.

Another problem is that I am only able to train less than half of my YB team due to them molting must should be finnish up soon but races start in 7 weeks. How much time is really needed to train YB's?

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I had started my YB training about 3 weeks ago. I have been taking it slow with the training because of the heat and that's the way i like to train. I have about 60 YB's but not all are being training because of molting. I have about 25 that I am currently taking out and will be adding more as the seem ready. Today I took them only a mile more than the last release which was 4 miles. They did circle for about 2 min and took off in the wrong direction, which is normal i have seen them do that and beat me home before. But today it took 2 hrs for about half of them to get home and the rest came in one at a time til dark. I do believe they are all back. I wiil let them rest and take them back to the same spot on Tues. Any ideas besides hawks?

I usually train in the evening not the morning because of work would that make a difference?
At such short distances, I'm not sure it really means anything. At anything under ten miles or so, unless they are very motivated to "race" home, they may simply be routing from the release point, which IMHO, is actually a good thing. If they came right home from say 5 miles and went right in, they may not actually be feeling the greatest. I actually prefer an hour of "victory" laps from say 5 or 10 miles. After all, the purpose of these shorter tosses, is simply to get them use to the idea of being released away from the loft, and to condition the birds. Now, taking all day, is quite another thing, and coming back broken up, may indicate that some followed another flock for some distance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts