Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
help please! yellow-green gunk

so im a new bird owner. i have two ringneck doves all white. they laid an egg last night and im not sure which one did it. but the one that i think laid it has a yellowish stain on its belly and it seems to have a "part" in its feathers all down the belly where i can see its skin.:eek: is this normal? im not sure. i put a thing of water in the cage hoping it would clean itself but its didnt work. should i be worried about anything?:confused::confused:
-also-
this same dove was pecking at the egg. not hard but it was pecking and moving it around the nest. what does this mean??
like i said im new to this. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also what is there to expect with new babies??

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that would make sense...if there were a crushed egg. there is only one and its not crushed and there is no evidence of there ever being another egg.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Regarding the "part" in its feathers all down the belly where you can see its skin, that's the brood patch - normal in pigeons and doves. Otherwise the insullating feathers wouldn't allow them to warm the eggs as efficiently. If you watch closely as the bird settles down onto the egg, you can see them raise the surrounding feathers to expose the naked skin which contacts the eggs.

Regarding the yellow-green gunk - is it slimy, like an infection, or could it be poop? They are usually careful not to poop in the nest, but it could happen.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it doesnt look slimy. just wet. like after it bathes but its yellow instead of its normal white. its possible that its poop. i have been cleaning poop out of the nest for the past week. maybe they wont poop in it anymore now that the egg is there. if that is what caused it then is there anway to remove the staining?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
although i didnt actually touch it

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all gone

the green spot is all gone. i guess she managed to clean it of of herself. yay.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
this same dove was pecking at the egg. not hard but it was pecking and moving it around the nest. what does this mean??

This is just how they tuck the egg underneath into just the right spot. ;)

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi DOVELOVE, Have you been feeding these birds any grit and oyster shell? If you have not then the shell could be weak in fact it could be a soft shell and if it broke you might not see a normal egg shell from a broken egg. Your birds should get some grit every day two Doves would need about a tablespoon every day. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes. im giving them grit. although the egg was layed before i was able to find any. i dont know if they were given any at the store or not. i doubt it. the egg has last this long i think it should be ok. i still dont know what that green stuff was. but it isnt there anymore so im not that worried about it anymore.:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
o and i held the egg today. it didnt put and force on it or anything but it didnt feel soft. it felt like a normal egg. if i held it up to the light it was translucent but idk if thats normal or not.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I agree with George,in addition to the grit, you need to give them oyster shell each offered separately and in small dishes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts