Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I live in Australia and picked up a young pigeon that could not fly last night at dusk in Melbourne. He/She was about to get hit by bike or eaten by dog or cat where he was. We were heading to foot ball match so tucked him inside football jumper and tucked him in back pack. He survived the night and this morning I popped him in a small cage and cleaned his bum (very pooey) and gave him small seed to eat and water. He has gutsed loads of seed today, but I have had to dip his beak in water to get him to drink. He has pretty bright green poos though, but apart from that seems ok. I am concerned about the green poos and also can he overeat?
I am happy to try and raise him till he is bigger, but need some advice or should I hand him over to wildlife people. In Australia, pigeons are not considered wild life of course as not native ones. Look forward to some feedback and many thanks. He has fluffy feathers left on his head and a few bald patches underneath so not sure how old?
Narelle

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Thank you for helping this bird!
It is naturally much better if you can take care of him, because it will get full attention of yours.:) As long as he’s eating and drinking things are fine. Bright green poop is abnormal, but can be of starving, dehydration etc.
Give him some time to recover and see how it goes. I’ll post you some more information about pigeon care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Thankyou very much for the reasurrance and I am downloading that booklet now. I will keep an eye on the green poos. When I first put him in the cage this morning I think he may have poohed in his food and I know he got some of that in his mouth as I saw it on his beak. I have cleaned his beak and put his food container on the side of the cage so he can't do that anymore. He is asleep now and I will put a hot water bottle in his cage tonight as its very cold over here at the moment (though he is indoors of course). We have already called him "Swivel", due to his impressive neck turning action!
Thanks again for your long distance reply!
Narelle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Green poos all gone today! Happy, been outside in sun. Lots of grooming. Tried him on some fresh fruit, but not that keen...Booklet had great advice. Many thanks again.
Narelle

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Narelle, if the poos return, bright green (almost an electric green) I am talking about, please let us know....because that'd be a sign of something serious which he/she'd need to be medicated for quickly.

BTW...did the pigeon enjoy the football match ?:p

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Enjoy new friendship with Swivel! :D
And if you need any help or advice, people in this forum will allways provide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well what lovely time we have had with our new friend. He has no green poos after that first day we are proud to say! He is growing very fast and eating so much food! He eats banana, lots of seed, apple, broccoli, brown rice, wholemeal pasta, unbelievable! He squawks really incessantly if he has not eaten enough! He is fast outgrowing his small cage though and I guess we will have to build a temporary aviary. What stage are they ready to have a go at life in the big and bright world? He still has naked patches on his chest and fluffy stuff on his head. He drinks by himself and we have taught him to perch, though he is not expert yet. He likes being outside in the sun with us. I hope we are doing all the right things. One of his feet is not quite right, one of the toes is bent towards the right toe. He manages to perch though regardless. Happy for any advice at this stage and thankyou so much for pigeon advice from across the world. As far as the footy match, he managed to wriggle out of my son's football jumper and put himself upside down. A quick trip to the toilets and I had him up the right way again! Funniest thing was when my son had his bag searched for alcohol and I told the man, "there is a pigeon in there!" . He was happy not to search then. Only other thing I have to say is boy pigeon poos a lot!!!!
Thanks again!!
(proud feral pigeon parents)

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Great update and thank you so much for helping this little one! S/he will be ready to go (maybe) when fully feathered, feathers are waterproof (little one needs to bathe to accomplish this), totally self feeding, and NOT too human friendly .. that's where the maybe comes in. If this little one is too trusting of humans, it should not be released. Often a human friendly pigeon can and will "wild" up if able to be with other pigeons that are not too human friendly. It's a complicated thing to figure out if/when a bird is releasable. Can you keep us posted for at least another few days to a week, and let's see where we are then?

Terry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks so much! He is actually getting quite grumpy at us and flaps his feathers madly at us when we are trying to clean his cage, out new food or water in etc. So not too friendly! He is still inside and I guess we need to move him out into a much bigger cage which we don't have as we have no evidence he can fly. But I am guessing it would be too hard for him to be released from the tiny cage to the outside world. We have some netting at home that we were thinking of trying to make bigger cage out of. He certainly would not be able to fly out, but do they get their heads stuck sometimes if wire is wide enough for just their heads? He is self feeding and drinking. We will have to work out a way that he could have a bath then.
Thanks so much and I will keep you posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts