Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble with my young birds this is my first year that I will be flying. At first they wouldn't eat but my mentor resolved this issue by telling me to put the feed on the floor in front of the feeder and that worked, but they have been eating everything except the corn for 2 days. Their is only two, I'm getting more young birds from other fliers still. I just gave them half an ounce and plan on giving them an ounce or half an ounce in the morning? How much should I be giving these young birds if I want to feed them twice a day?

Thanks

Also if I'm in there all the time and I only whistle when I put down the feed does that teach them to that call? Should I wait till they finish eating before I leave? I haven't seen them eat they must wait till I leave to come down and eat I got them on Saturday they aren't 100% used to me yet.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
because they are new.. let them have what they want right now.. when they are there for a few more days and get settled more.. then start measuring and put them in the settling cage to come eat.. alot of times young birds will leave the corn...at first..but as they start flying they will eat it more when you get your measuring right.. in summer some do not even add the corn.. but winter it is good for the extra carbs and they tend to eat it with no problems then..

·
Registered
172 Posts
because they are new.. let them have what they want right now.. when they are there for a few more days and get settled more.. then start measuring and put them in the settling cage to come eat.. alot of times young birds will leave the corn...at first..but as they start flying they will eat it more when you get your measuring right.. in summer some do not even add the corn.. but winter it is good for the extra carbs and they tend to eat it with no problems then..
Exactly as Spiritwings wrote. Let them have what they want right now.

Our first team of 25 YB's are a little picky too. We pulled the popcorn for now till they are flying good.

Get them out in the settling cage and get them used to trapping. You might have to skip the morning meal for a couple days ( Just feed them good at night) to get them used to you calling when you feed them. It does'nt take them long to learn.

These babies are trapping & coming real good now, getting ready for the next step.

I think more young birds are lost due to the fact they are not settled properly, and those developing instincts of home , food and water are waiting for them. Getting them to be comfortable with you and trusting you is 50% of the battle.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I'm having trouble with my young birds this is my first year that I will be flying. At first they wouldn't eat but my mentor resolved this issue by telling me to put the feed on the floor in front of the feeder and that worked, but they have been eating everything except the corn for 2 days. Their is only two, I'm getting more young birds from other fliers still. I just gave them half an ounce and plan on giving them an ounce or half an ounce in the morning? How much should I be giving these young birds if I want to feed them twice a day?

Thanks

Also if I'm in there all the time and I only whistle when I put down the feed does that teach them to that call? Should I wait till they finish eating before I leave? I haven't seen them eat they must wait till I leave to come down and eat I got them on Saturday they aren't 100% used to me yet.
Feeding is an art form. I found it much easyer to show, rather then trying to tell. It sounds to me the answer to your situation is very simple, you are over feeding them. Keep in mind, that there can be a very.... very fine line between over feeding and under feeding. I can't give you a measurement amount, because a number of things can affect what the ideal amount should be, such as weather, excersize, age, etc. Best suggestion if possible, is to visit a sucessful fancier in your area, and watch how he feeds his birds.

Visit pigeons at a park, they may not be use to you either, but watch how they will fly down and gobble up feed. You won't see them sitting there waiting for you to leave. ;)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys...I think they are like 50% used to me, they don't go crazy when I enter the loft anymore and sometimes let me stand next to them, one let me pet it today. I will try feeding them half an ounce, when I train them it will be in the morning, but I was told I should feed them twice a day.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Youngbirds are hesitant eating corn because they are usually big. Try pop corn. Also on warmer days such as summer, they don't eat much corn for obvious reason. During winter or colder days they eat more of that.

If you want to feed twice a day, you can try 1/3 of your feed in the morning and 2/3 the rest in the afternoon. That way if you fly them twice you still have control. I feed my fliers between 1 ounce to 1.5 ounce per bird per day depending on how they perform. My breeders get more obviously.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rod,

The corn is in the feed mix its a 50lb bag of white milo, red milo, corn, browns peas, brown rice and other stuff I believe. I'm thinking since these guys aren't flying that they aren't hungry enough to eat an ounce or more a day?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
To me an ounce is a minimum for homers. They go hungry anything lower than that. If they are not hungry enough, then obviously they are not hungry and wont eat. You can feed them less then. After that they will tell you if they want more. Feeding is an art form in this case. There is no strict rule. You adapt based on the condition. For example, if I give my birds 1.5 ounces they can fly for about an hour or 2. Sometimes I don't like that so I lower it to 1.25 and I can see that they can fly about 30-40 minutes. I view feed like a car fuel. Now if I feed my birds 1.5 ounces and not fly them for couple of days, I could see right away that they get fat. And some gets fatter faster than others. (For some mysterious reason, my best birds don't get fat too easily even if I give them food all day). Now when they become fat, they don't like to fly. They act like they are overfed. So I have to give less food until they get their weights again.

·
Registered
851 Posts
One thing we did was "skip" a feeding. We gave the birds about half the normal amount to get them back to hungry then started over at the one ounce mark. If you split feed (one in the morning once in the evening) then skip the morning feeding altogether.

So far this has worked to get our feeding straightened out every time.

As everyone else has said, it appears more art than science. As you can tell my be need to reset the birds I am far from a good artist.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I want to fly them in the morning shouldn't I skip the evening feed? Thats what I did and I put them half an ounce today. If thats cleaned up I'll give them another half ounce today or a full ounce at once in the morning? Will they eventually start coming to the feed as soon as I put it? This is all turning out to be harder then expected a year of reading feels like it hasn't helped much. I just want them eating on a schedule before I can even get them coming to my call!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you fly in the AM, feed the larger portion after the AM fly (say 3/4 oz). Then in the evening give them a short feed of the remaining portion (1/4 oz).

We fly in the evening. We don't feed in the morning once the birds are old enough to manage (about 3 months). Hungry birds come when they hear you call. Starving birds won't fly.

Patience and observation are your key tools here.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are a month old not flying yet need them trap trained first. This needs A LOT of patience which is being tough for a young guy like me. I've been spending an hour down there a day to get them used to me I think its slowly working the feed is frustrating me though lol

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If I want to fly them in the morning shouldn't I skip the evening feed? Thats what I did and I put them half an ounce today. If thats cleaned up I'll give them another half ounce today or a full ounce at once in the morning? Will they eventually start coming to the feed as soon as I put it? This is all turning out to be harder then expected a year of reading feels like it hasn't helped much. I just want them eating on a schedule before I can even get them coming to my call!!
because these are new birds and not hatched at your place they are taking it all in and getting used to the place..they don't know your routine yet and you are the bringer of good things..food!..they will catch on just takes a bit of time..give the feed and then take it up after you see them eat some of it.. then do it again in the evening.. when they know you are feeding them say a call everytime..reguardless if they look at you like your crazy or not..lol....then they catch on..when they come down and eat when you call and put the feed out it is time for the next step..

·
Registered
851 Posts
This is going to sound mean, but hear me out.

Skip feeding for 24 hours.

Next feeding would be about half a ration. Second feeding, half ration. This should put you at "fly time"† on day 3. Give them 3/4 ration at this feeding. Then 1/4 ration at next feeding.

After that 24 hour window your birds will love you. Or at least the food you have in your hand which is close enough.

† do not fly them if they are not ready to fly, but this should be the time that you plan on flying them. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is going to sound mean, but hear me out.

Skip feeding for 24 hours.

Next feeding would be about half a ration. Second feeding, half ration. This should put you at "fly time"† on day 3. Give them 3/4 ration at this feeding. Then 1/4 ration at next feeding.

After that 24 hour window your birds will love you. Or at least the food you have in your hand which is close enough.

† do not fly them if they are not ready to fly, but this should be the time that you plan on flying them. Hope that makes sense.
So, I fed them yesterday morning, put down food in the evening that they didn't touch then I took that away. I fed them this morning at 7AM, so haven't I sorta started your suggestion? So should I give them half the ration tonight? and continue with your plan? These guys aren't ready to fly, well they are just not ready to fly back to this loft lol. I want them trap trained first before I do that. Just need to get this feed thing under control. Sorry for being such a newb, but this is all confusing me.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
because these are new birds and not hatched at your place they are taking it all in and getting used to the place..they don't know your routine yet and you are the bringer of good things..food!..they will catch on just takes a bit of time..give the feed and then take it up after you see them eat some of it.. then do it again in the evening.. when they know you are feeding them say a call everytime..reguardless if they look at you like your crazy or not..lol....then they catch on..when they come down and eat when you call and put the feed out it is time for the next step..
So, is your advice I should keep doing what I'm doing and they will get used to things eventually?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
So, is your advice I should keep doing what I'm doing and they will get used to things eventually?
I think you need to take the feed up after they pick at it or eat some..then they know it is may not be there for long and they better listen to you or they learn to see and listen for you.. do this till they come down and eat right off the bat...remembering to do the same call every time.. leave it for 15 mins or 10 if they are interested and eating..and take it up..and then do the same thing next time.. when they come to your call and come and chow down straight away.. start the measureing..and trap training.. .. you can just put them in the trap now too just to get them used to it.. when they are coming to your call to eat ..because they are hungry... you can put them in the trap before feeding for a half hour and call them in to eat.. then they should be coming in like a bullet to eat..and when they do that.. time to be let outside.. I let mine out at about 7 to 8 weeks old..some do sooner.. but usually I do not have mine trap trained that early..

·
Registered
851 Posts
Are you flying at 7AM?

Start feeding at the time you would call them in from flying. Keep in mind that birds sleep just like you do. The may not be awake enough to go "crap, where's the chow?"

If you are working on trap training do it before feeding. They need to be hungry and they need to know that "the featherless giant is bringer of food; obey and eat".

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you need to take the feed up after they pick at it or eat some..then they know it is may not be there for long and they better listen to you or they learn to see and listen for you.. do this till they come down and eat right off the bat...remembering to do the same call every time.. leave it for 15 mins or 10 if they are interested and eating..and take it up..and then do the same thing next time.. when they come to your call and come and chow down straight away.. start the measureing..and trap training.. .. you can just put them in the trap now too just to get them used to it.. when they are coming to your call to eat ..because they are hungry... you can put them in the trap before feeding for a half hour and call them in to eat.. then they should be coming in like a bullet to eat..and when they do that.. time to be let outside.. I let mine out at about 7 to 8 weeks old..some do sooner.. but usually I do not have mine trap trained that early..

I did that I made the call obviously put the feed but they didn't come down for it, I even left the section, so I picked it up after they had not touched it for 17 minutes. My trap is the California style aviary, its the trap and aviary at the same time and they've been going out there and sitting. I guess I should do the same thing tomorrow morning? If they don't come down to eat in 10-15 minutes then take it away? I'm sorry for all the questions, but you are being a very big help right now.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
At one month old don't expect them to fly. At that age, they just flutter around, probably perching on loft roof or some high spot and memorizing your place. That is ok.

To me it sounds that they are not listening to you because they are still full. If that is not the case, then they probably have not yet associated with feed call. Do they come down from their perches when you give your feed call? If not, then trained them first that way. Also some birds are slow learner. I had one dumb bird that tried my patience. I had evil thought on that bird! It was lucky that I kept my patience. You must have patience with these birds as well. The smart ones are a delight to have. They learned in one try. Some don't even need training.

So be patient. Continue training them. Watch how much they eat and modify it according to their behavior. Also these birds are copycat. If one bird does it, the rest follows. Just make sure that the bird that they follow teaches them good behavior.

Good luck! If this doesn't work you have no choice, but to feed them only once a day and only fly them once a day. Basically you are giving the birds time to fully consume their food first before they get another one. This usually works.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts