Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
is it OK to move the baby's to clean the nest? They are about 8 days old.
I speak from experience and learning the hard way......LOL...:rolleyes:
If you clean the nest, use the SAME type of bowl and put it back in the SAME exact spot as the other one was.
At this age, (8 days old) sometimes instead of giving a clean nest, I just add some new clean nesting material on top of the old one and leave it for a couple of days. By then, it shouldn't be a problem at all to clean the bowl every day if you want to.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
If the parents are experienced with having babies and they are used to you being around it shouldn't be a problem. I set the baby in the clean identical nest bowl, move him to a safe cubby, clean out the nest box with dirty bowl, and put baby back in his clean bowl. It saves time switching out bowls The baby is not out of his familiar territory for very long, less stress on everyone. :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes I do about the same thing, I will put the babies on the otherside of the nest box and have a clean bowl ready, clean out one side, put the clean bowl in and put babies in it, then clean the other side ,and done. I wait till the parents are off the nest to go drink or take a break. seems like mid day or afternoon they seem to do that... I give it the big clean when the pin feathers are coming in and the parent birds are off the the nest alot more, like 13 or 14 days old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts