Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
As many of you know I am in my first term at Bristol Vet School. I was dragged into my flat mates room(another vet) this morning as she'd heard some flapping outside her window(they always seem to know where to come!). There had been a pair of crows flapping around outside so she assumed that it was them, but when the flapping continued she looked out side to find a rather bedraggled pigeon. I feel guilty as he needs his mum and dad but the crows seemed to be getting very close to him, I think they were after him.
I think he's about 25-28days old. He is extremely wet and a tad skinny, his keel bone is visible but he's not completely underweight.
He's currently in a box in my room, I know he probably doesnt know how to peck(although there seems to be some pecking going on-ive sprinkled some sunflower seeds around). I can beg for some peas as im sure someone has some!
Strictly speaking I shouldnt have animals in here, but hopefully the plan will be to dry him off and then let him go.

Qu.
Should I just let him dry off and release?
Should I release out the window(where he was found), I ask because I could release him from the ground but he's have to fly high quickly as theres alot of buildings about.
Should I try and feed him when he's dryer?

Thank you
Much Love

XxX

·
Registered
238 Posts
no in my opinion definately dont release him yet......somone will be along late who knows more than me...have you given him water....preferably with a little sugar and salt in...you can dip his beak in several times yourself so he knows its there... i might be in bristol tomorrow or tuesday as i may be taking one of my birds to the vet at chepstow....

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Charlotte,

He is definitely in need of some tlc...the danger of him getting soaked like that at this time of year is that he can also suffer from hypothermia. And even if he is dried completely he is likely to get soaked again with the next shower. You can use a hairdrier to warm him up and dry him, I put a hand between the hot air and the pigeon at very frequent intervals to ensure it is not too hot.

How does his crop feel? Follow the protocol of warming and rehydrating before feeding, but I think that if he is feeding himself he should be allowed to do so after rehydration. JMO

If you could hang on to him until solly can take him that would be great!

Cynthia

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tomorrow Im in lectures from 9 til 5 but have breaks for two hours at 10am. Its constant rain here, very miserable. He does have water and ill put a pinch of salt and sugar in it and make sure he knows its there.
XxX

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be very happy to look after him until Solly can get to him. As much as I love him and can pigeon-proof my room, student accomodation is truely not ideal!!!
Im glad I ghave the box, definately will be keeping it just in case!
XxX

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Give him his water warm. He is probably still being fed by his parents and used to everything being served at pigeon body tempreature. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, hes now dried off, he was terrified of the hair dryer to start with but by the end of it he was sitting on my knee enjoying it!
Hes had a sip of drink as well.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
he was sitting on my knee enjoying it!
What a sweetie! I am so glad that yoyur flat did its pigeon magnet bit. I bet if the pigeon could speak he would have been calling your name.

Cynthia

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aww! Yea, this is a pretty big building and he mamaged to land just under my flatmates window. Im pretty sure I can see the worried parents outside. Thing is it is constant rain here, I couldnt bear the thought of him going out and getting wet like that again.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
At this age, parents do not feed them anymore. I would keep him for some time, as he needs to gain weight. Stress from crows can also bring him health problems, so monitor him for a while.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hello, please give the pigeon some defrosted peas or sweet corn if he is not feeding himself.Tinned stuff will do if you havent anything else. Or wholemeal bread soaked in lukewarm water.

Thank you for taking in this little fella. The weather in the UK for the next week is not good at all. High winds and heavy rain. So please keep him until he is stronger and more able to manage.

It would be wonderful if Solly can take your pigeon. Keep us informed.Many thanks Jayne

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
poor little soggy guy, my thinking is he may have something going on with him because of his lack of water proofing.
if he won't eat on his own, you can put one piece of corn and peas in his mouth at a time and he will swallow it, wrap him in a towel so he doesn't wiggle to much, once hydrated of course

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You can hand feed him the peas if he has not eaten and it sounds like he doesn't know how to eat yet.

Gently open his beak with thumb and forefinger and drop one on the back of the tongue and allow him to close his beak and swallow. Then repeat about ten times. Make sure the peas are completely drained of any excess water.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Im pretty sure I can see the worried parents outside.
Baby pigeons leave the nest at about 28 (+/- 3) days and if the parents are around they continue to feed them for 6-10 days, so if you are right about the baby's age you are probably right about the parents... but if so, they won't worry for long.

Cynthia

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
That is great! :)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Charlotte,

I missed this thread earlier, so glad it all turned out ok.

Also glad the pigeons aren't letting you off the hook while you're studying, you have to keep your hand in !! ;)

Well done and nice to hear from you,

Janet

1 - 20 of 23 Posts