Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning we rescued a young feral pigeon from the road in Bucuresti, Romania. We have brought it home fed it warm water with sugar and some salt like we saw on a pigeon rescue website and he is now sitting and what looks like sleeping in our flat. He doesn't look very active and he looks like he is a young pigeon. Is anyone in the area that could help us ? Or does anyone have any advice? This is the first time we've picked a pigeon up so we don't have any experience, in fact my partner has a bird phobia..... Pictures attached in case they are helpful. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He is young. Is he injured in some way? Maybe ill. How did you catch him? Did he not try to run away or fly?
He needs bird seed. Right now a wild birdseed mix would be good, and a water dish in his box or where ever you are keeping him. Maybe he hasn't been out of the nest long and is just learning, in which case his parents should be around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well he was out on a busy road and some cars went over him so I picked him up and put him on the grass we continued on had a coffee then when we came back he was still there and so we found a box at home came out again pigeon still in the same place so we decided to take him home. He's been in the house a few hours now. His parents are probably long gone now.... So you think some seed and water then what ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was very easy to catch I just walked over and picked him up. He's not visibly injured but he just sits and he looks pretty sorry for himself. So maybe he's sick.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you check way down his throat with a flashlight and see if you see anything cheesy down there?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so throat check complete. He has a little bit of white colouring on the roof of his mouth but its not a lump or anything, the rest of the throat and mouth is pink.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hard to tell from here what is wrong. Or if he is just hungry and weak from not eating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no access to bird feed until the shops open tomorrow. But I have sesame seeds and sunflower seeds in the house and other stuff oats for example. Is it worth trying to feed him something? I read it can harm him if I feed him and his digestive system isn't working.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Why do you think his digestive system isn't working? Only way to find out is if you feed him. He should be warmed up and re-hydrated by giving him water for a few hours first. I figured you had offered him water. Give him a small cup of water with a pinch of sugar and pinch of salt mixed in. Offer it to him by holding it up in front of him and see if he will drink. If not, then slowly lower his beak into the water, but not over the nostrils. See if he will drink. Sesame seeds are so small. You can try some, and some sunflower seed, but not too much of that as it is very high in fat, and the oats. Do you have any unpopped popcorn, or split peas that you would use for pea soup? You can add those. Tomorrow you can try the seed. If he doesn't eat, then the easiest way to get food into him would be to have frozen peas. You would defrost them and warm them under warm running water. Get them warm, not hot.
Feed him about 30 to 40 at one feeding and do this 3 times a day, about 6 hours apart. His crop should empty between feedings, which is like a little bag under his throat which will fill up when you feed him. You can also make not of how many droppings he has, which will tell you if the crop is emptying.
Here is how to feed them to him.

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Lovely bird! Thank you for helping him. White in his mouth could be yeast or canker? He may just needfood, maybe defrosted peas,as suggested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yeh he's had water with sugar and salt in it but I had to feed him with the spoon and even then he didn't drink a lot. He's made it through the night, he looks brighter he's flapping around occasionally and he is walking around now instead of just sitting. I found bird feed for parrots and exotic bird feed? Is that going to be ok ? He's flying around the hall where I have kept him now... Is it likely I'll be able to just release him again ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I've tried giving him seeds and oats etc. He's not interested, I held the tub by him to try and get him to try it but he pecked at them without opening his beak and never ate anything. He's kind of sulking again not moving and just sitting, then occasionally flapping up to the stool. I guess my next step is the peas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So an update on the peas, I've managed to get one down him but the second one he put up some resistance and was trying to cough it back out and I couldn't get it down, I'll observe him and try again if he still looks the same. He tried to fly out the window earlier so he's made some improvement.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He can't be released until he is stronger, eating and flying well.
If you are having a hard time getting the peas in, then you are not doing it the way I have explained. It's really very easy. Reread the directions on how to do it, slowly, and try again. If done the way I explained, then he must swallow it. If you don't get food into him, he is going to get weak and die.

I can't tell you about the parrot food, as I have no idea what it looks like or has in it. They have different feed needs. Can you post a picture of the parrot feed?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts