Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's been looking sickly for at least several days but is getting worse quickly. I noticed the rasping sound coming from his chest yesterday. I have him on Respire from Jedds. Also, his droppings are getting very watery with some green in them. I have started tube feeding him because I think he has stop eating on his own but I don't think much of the formula is going through. Yesterday, I spoke to a rehabber. She thinks I should give him Nystatin but I don't have any and everything seems to be closed for the Holiday. Any thoughts? Thank you!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Ante, I would add in Baytril as well to his treatment meds, plus the Respire you are currently giving (basically Doxycycline), as almost every bird that I've had, that has had respiratory problems, that I have given this combination to have responded very well and recovered. You can give the Baytril in the morning and the Respire at night. Please keep us updated.

I realized I did not finish my answer, so yes, I fully agree, as Reti mentions below, hold off on the feedings and give warm Pedialyte (5-7mL at a time) to try and get things moving again, and again, as she mentions, injectable Baytril (into the breast muscle only) may be the best way to quickly get it into his system.

Good luck with him,

Karyn

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Do you have Baytril? Would start him on that, if you have injectable would be best since it seems he is not digesting.
Give pedialyte for now and hold off the feedings until the digestive tract starts moving again.

Reti

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
There are many pigeon vets who think that most crop stasis is the result of trichomonas, and because bacterial infections such as Salmonella can display
respiratory symptoms I would give a combo of Baytril and Metronidazole while
tubing a solution of ACV diluted w/warm water throughout the day. Doxy can
be more inclined to result in yeast growth than some other antibiotics.

fp

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi AB,

What does their Crop feel like? And, is it passing un a timely way?

Can you get them into a 'Burrito-Bird' mode, under a good ligt, as you sit, and, look well into his Throat and Larynx/Trachial opening?

Images of his poops?

Keep him warm...

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Unfortunately, I do not have any Baytril. My vet is on vacation till Dec 3rd and the rehabbers, I usually see, are also closed till Monday.

There seems to be less rasping coming out of his lungs and there are solids in his droppings now. His crop is soft and it's starting to empty so I have started to feed him 8 ml at the time of the formula mixed with electrolyte solution. He is not vomiting which he did once few days ago. I am thinking that maybe some of the formula got into his breathing tubes as he was throwing up and that's why there is the rasping sound. Is this possible? I have looked down his throat and felt his entire jaw, neck, and his crop and I can't feel any lumps.

I weighted him this morning. He weighs 225 g. He does seem to be getting weaker. Couple of days ago he could still fly; now, he tries but doesn't go very far.

I think that this is the beginning of PMV. I've had quite a few cases in the last couple of years here. I took in another young feral not to long ago. He went down in a similar way, although there was no breathing sound with him. He spent four days with the vet hospitalized. His legs are totally paralyzed, he can't move his tail and he is now twisting his neck upwards. He was treated for lead poisoning but I think that most likely it is PMV. I hope the paralysis of his legs is not permanent. It's been 4 weeks now that he got very sick.

Here are two photos of this new patient's recent poops but the color in the pictures is off. They are not this yellow but rather olive green.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi AB,

Well, pleny of fecal matter there anyway...evebn if the Urates are clear and watery.

What meds do you have?

And, how is this Bird acting as far as posture, walking, trotting, pecking and so on?

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Ante, food aspiration as an after effect of regurgitation is absolutely a possibility for what could have brought about breathing difficulties and a possible case of respiratory infection.

The big thing right now is to keep him warm to conserve his energy as a good deal of the calories he is intaking is simply going just to maintain body temperature. When I have dealt with birds in an emaciated and weaken state on top of GI issues, were you are walking a tight rope between not making the meals too big and worrying the bird is not getting enough nutrition to maintain body weight and function, I try giving the formula a boost.

I usually use baby soy formula like this http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3531387&CAWELAID=341709309 (there are a number of different brands out there, just make sure it's soy based). I mix it up following label instructions and then use this to make the Kaytee formula instead of water. Doing this will effectively double the calorie content of each 1cc of food you feed, so if you feed 7cc of Kaytee made with the soy, it would be like feeding about 14cc made with water and it digests very easily.

Karyn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts