Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonight I had what seemed to be a perfectly healthy young hen, 4 years old have some sort of fit and died less 3 hours later and I have no idea what happened. Maybe someone can offer a clue??
In an effort to save time :D: they were all treated, vaccinated, wormed etc. before breeding season. Their feed is kept inside, no mice, they get fresh water every morning with ACV 3 times a week, have grit and oyster shell, haven't been out or gotten into anything they shouldn't.
When I went out to feed tonight I saw her laying on the floor just completely flat, wings out to the side, looking like she was struggling to walk. Thinking she might have injured her legs I picked her up to check her over, didn't see anything and then she seemed to snap out of it, kicking and squirming like normal. I set her down and she seemed a little wobbly at first but then proceeded to run right over and have dinner. While she was eating I did notice she was having a hard time fending off the unwanted advances from a couple of males but after I shoo'd them away she finished eating. I sat and watched her for awhile and she acted completely normal, flying & walking around, she checked on her babies (the other concern). I went back out and checked her at 9:00 & 10:00 p.m. still fine. When I went back out at about 11:30 and she was on the floor dead and she was so stiff it seemed as though she had been dead for hours??
This doesn't seem to fit anything I have read about, with the exception of eggbinding but she has 8-9 day old babies so that doesn't really fit either.
Soooo if anyone has seen something like this or has any idea what happened to her I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Sounds like egg binding and I think it could be possible she was having another round of eggs even though it is a bit too soon.
It is impossible to say what really happened without a necropsy.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Reti

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Sounds like egg binding and I think it could be possible she was having another round of eggs even though it is a bit too soon.
It is impossible to say what really happened without a necropsy.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Reti
I agee, she could of been early on laying her next round, but was calcuim defencient because of feeding babies. Im sorry too, It is nerve racking when stuff like this happens..:(

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Tonight I had what seemed to be a perfectly healthy young hen, 4 years old have some sort of fit and died less 3 hours later and I have no idea what happened. Maybe someone can offer a clue??
In an effort to save time :D: they were all treated, vaccinated, wormed etc. before breeding season. Their feed is kept inside, no mice, they get fresh water every morning with ACV 3 times a week, have grit and oyster shell, haven't been out or gotten into anything they shouldn't.
When I went out to feed tonight I saw her laying on the floor just completely flat, wings out to the side, looking like she was struggling to walk. Thinking she might have injured her legs I picked her up to check her over, didn't see anything and then she seemed to snap out of it, kicking and squirming like normal. I set her down and she seemed a little wobbly at first but then proceeded to run right over and have dinner. While she was eating I did notice she was having a hard time fending off the unwanted advances from a couple of males but after I shoo'd them away she finished eating. I sat and watched her for awhile and she acted completely normal, flying & walking around, she checked on her babies (the other concern). I went back out and checked her at 9:00 & 10:00 p.m. still fine. When I went back out at about 11:30 and she was on the floor dead and she was so stiff it seemed as though she had been dead for hours??
This doesn't seem to fit anything I have read about, with the exception of eggbinding but she has 8-9 day old babies so that doesn't really fit either.
Soooo if anyone has seen something like this or has any idea what happened to her I would really appreciate it.
I'm so sorry to hear this. It is best to isolate the bird when they seem to be "off", but without a necropsy you never really will know what happened, except for the possiblities already mentioned.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bird. Eggs is the only thing I can come up with. I had a hen this past year that laid her second and third set of eggs when her babies were only 11 days old, so it IS possible. Not normal, but very possible. You gonna leave Dad to take care of the babies?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In a weird way I REALLY hope that is what happened, at least then I won't be so paranoid that more seemingly healthy birds will just suddenly drop dead.
The funny thing is I didn't even see them acting as though they were preparing for another round, I wouldn't have let them have them anyway, I cut them off at 2-3 rounds at most. I didn't realize it could happen that quick with no symptoms??
I have had one eggbound hen before this but with her the reasons why and symptoms were obvious she is tiny, it was her first time laying, her mate wouldn't let her eat or drink anything, she had the hunched up back, discharge from her vent area and was slightly fluffed and sleepy looking.
This was just so sudden, no symptoms of anything wrong. It was awful to see her struggling like that, looked like she had been run over, but when she seemed fine a few minutes later I hoped that maybe she had just crashed and gotten the wind knocked out of her or something.

Treesa: she showed no symptoms of being "off" in any way or I would have done something.

Renee: I am hoping I can just help dad with the feedings and won't have to bring them in and finish raising them myself? I just finished raising my little guy with the leg problems, it was fun the first few days........after that I became acutely aware of how time consuming it was feeding every 3-4 hours LOL! I am keeping an eye on them, this morning their crops were nice and full.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Renee: I am hoping I can just help dad with the feedings and won't have to bring them in and finish raising them myself? I just finished raising my little guy with the leg problems, it was fun the first few days........after that I became acutely aware of how time consuming it was feeding every 3-4 hours LOL! I am keeping an eye on them, this morning their crops were nice and full.

Dad should take care of them just fine. There's a chance that if you have a single female in the loft, he could take up with her and leave the babies, but just take it as it comes. I think he'll do fine.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Did she feel thin? It's really hard to tell if a bird is perfectly fine unless you handle it everyday and you can monitor the poop...how it looks...how often it poops...etc.
It is a natural instinct for birds to pretend they are healthy even when they are not. When a bird starts acting off, that means it can't pretend any more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts