Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young black hen that has been limping for over two weeks now and it does not seem to be getting any better. She just started out limping a little, then i began to notice that the joint was becoming very swelled up, and now she only walks on one leg. She is very healthy and fat and can fly with my other birds just fine. At first i thought that her leg was just a minor injury that would go down in a few days but it got to the point where i do not know what i should do to the leg. Would she have to be apputated? I read on line that many people have simmular problems with thier birds and it is ussaully an infection that is causing the leg to swell. I just also noticed that one of my male pigeons is beggining to limp also, so it could it possible be contagious? I thought that it was just a sprang from landing too hard on to it's leg. I have no axess to any medicine online and so do what do you guys think i should do?

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi Pigeon X,is the swollen leg the one with the birds band?Also look at the ball of the foot to see if it is swollen if so your bird could have the BUMBLEFOOT which is an infection of the foot pad,or as some might call it the ball GEORGE;)

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Yes, get that bird isolated and started on antibiotic ASAP. Could be paratyphoid or it could also be she/he somehow hurt it and has either a bone or soft-tissue infection. But it does sound like something spreading, so I would guess it's an infection...so isolate ALL the effected pigeons from the rest.

This sorta symptom responds very WELL to Antibiotic (Cipro - also known as Baytril....or Amoxycillin are the two best choices) but you need to get some FAST.

Cipro is by prescription only...Amoxy can be bought online at Jedd's or Foy's and express-mailed to you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
George simon; no, i am sure that she does not have bumble foot, and the foot that has the band on it is not the one that was swelling it was actually the oppisite foot. Thanks for reply, Jaye thanks for the advice. I will isolate her asap;)

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Cool...and get those meds ASAP as well. She can likely pull through it OK but it will take a long course of antibiotics to do so...a good 4 weeks, probably. If you need instructions on how to prepare a correct dosage, let us know.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just saw a mouse with a short tail crawl into my birds food tray. I was disgusted and tried to kill the little booger. I failed and it ran away. Can anyone tell me how i can get rid of mouse. I know i am over feeding my birds, that is one thing i could stop to preventing any mouses. I am disgusted by mouse and want to kill them. They have also have begun to increase population lately because I have seen them in my basement too. Ever since i began raising pigeons they started to show up also. We trapped about 6 last year inside our basement. There was also a lot of mice poo all over the place. I really hate mice because they just some how get into our house always. I read that mouses can contract salmonella to pigeons, is that why my young hen has a bad leg infection? Could someone tell me how to get rid of these pesky mice.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Yes that would do it, certainly (carry illnesses).

Can you describe your pigeon setup...maybe post a photo....regarding how and where you are feeding the pigeons (is it on the ground, on a concrete slab, on a raised wood floor, etc.) ?

How's the ill pigeon ? Have you started meds ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.