Pigeon-Talk banner

young homer question

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  pluviru 
#1 ·
I just received some 2010 young birds. They were flown at the loft and up to 6 miles . My question is can I rehome them to my loft. These are all Janseens so they are good blood lines. I am thinking maybe if I kept them in the loft for over a month and slowly allow them to fly around the loft. Has anyone ever tried to do this?
Wayne

#2 ·
if they are good birds.. they will fly back home.. because they have been flown at the pre loft and even road trained.. if the loft you got them from is not too far..then you could try it..and then just go back and get your birds..then you would know.. these birds though may just be your breeders for next year and have to be prisoners... I would not chance it if the pre loft is too far for you to go get them..

#4 ·
WAYFPENN.....Lets say there are a couple of these birds you don`t like...Then you could try flying them at your loft....But,I would mate them to any pigeons that are TRAINED to your loft already....After these certain birds are sitting on eggs,You may let them go out with YOUR pigeons that are TRAINED to your loft..If you don`t have any that are trained to fly at your location,disregard everything I have just written,and keep them locked up....Alamo

#6 ·
re homing

Actually it is totally worth the risk, seeing your birds flying free and enjoying themselves.
I have just experienced this, i ordered 12 babies and when they arrived there was only 4 babies the rest of the flock were ranging from 2yrs to 10yrs old, i didnt want to send them back, i decided to do some research and nearly everyone is saying you cannot rehome pigeons, so i decided that the reason i was doing this hobby was to see the birds flying free.,
So i took 2 birds and allowed them to go outside the coop, wow they took off flew around a bit looking quite nervous but excited, then they both came back, then one took off and did not return untill 48hrs later, looking well but hungry, since then i have released all of them and all have returned, so now i have trained them to fly back from over 50miles away. I am very proud of my little athletes and i have so much plesure in watching them play on the wing.

#7 ·
Actually it is totally worth the risk, seeing your birds flying free and enjoying themselves.
I have just experienced this, i ordered 12 babies and when they arrived there was only 4 babies the rest of the flock were ranging from 2yrs to 10yrs old, i didnt want to send them back, i decided to do some research and nearly everyone is saying you cannot rehome pigeons, so i decided that the reason i was doing this hobby was to see the birds flying free.,
So i took 2 birds and allowed them to go outside the coop, wow they took off flew around a bit looking quite nervous but excited, then they both came back, then one took off and did not return untill 48hrs later, looking well but hungry, since then i have released all of them and all have returned, so now i have trained them to fly back from over 50miles away. I am very proud of my little athletes and i have so much plesure in watching them play on the wing.
Where would you have ordered twelve babies from that then sent you eight old birds along with four babies? Doesn't sound like a reputable place.

#11 ·
Personally I would not try this if i were you, but I got two old birds that I were given to me from friends and both the birds escaped from my loft but they both came back and eventually I let them out more and more and they always stayed. But...I've had so many that escaped and flew away that I would not recommend it.

#13 ·
It Can be done.I had two grizzles rehome a couple of years ago that were trained and flew in the All Grizzle 300 mi race in Ok.The cock clocked 4th and the hen clocked 11th in the race(I bought them at auction).I kept them as breeders(prisoners).A bad storm came through and tore the doors off my loft.I just knew I lost those birds for good,BUT surprisingly they were back in the loft the next morning.They had raised me five rounds of young up to that point,so I think that was responsible for them rehoming.So it Can be done,and your chances are definately higher if you let them breed and raise some young first.

#15 ·
Why so many people don't rehome the pigeons they have. I had hundred of pigeons that I rehomed and their loft was near me. The one's I've lost I count them on one hand and they are really good pigeons. I've had also pigeons that they were 10 years and older.
This is how I rehome them:
Make a piece of tape with their wings so that pigeons can get out without flying. Let them marry each other, and after 2-3 months remove the tape of the cock. He will be waiting for the hen to go with him so wait a little bit before you remove the tape of the hen. After 3-4 weeks remove the tape of the hen. At that time the cock had begun to discover the place and flied and stays in place. Then the hen will rehome it the cock itself.
Don't remove the tape of the cocks all at the same time. Leave 2 days between each.
It would work as I rehomed many pigeons like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.