Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A young pigeon was brought 4 days ago (it still has a lot of downy feathers, there are no parent birds around) into a neighbours garden by a cat and left for dead, later that day the pigeon was seen limping and had blood on it, we were sure it was dying but here 4 days later it has been found nesting on the top of a large flower pot. Is there anyway some one could come and pick it up as we do not really know what to do with it and there are many cats around this area. We wouldn't like to see anything happen to it but at the same time can not look after it, we would hate to see something happen to it after it has showed such fighting spirit.
We are in Hampton, Middlesex.

Thankyou

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Can you at least catch him and put him in the warm place until someone helps?
There is no danger for your health at all. He is probably starving and needs water too.
Someone from the forum will be shortly online, but untill then please try to keep bird alive!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Please...please. bring the poor baby indoors, you can put him in a box with a a towel... under the towel place a heating pad set to low.... He needs to be brought up in temp. After you have done that for about 20 minutes then you can offer him water with a pinch salt and a pich of sugar in it.

We have members in the UK but Im not sure about how close in proximity to London they are... I'll look through the list. In the meantime do catch the poor lil' one.. he needs your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The neighbour has just seen the mother pigeon for the first time, so maybe we should leave alone for now and keep an eye on it from a distance? What do you think keeping in mind there is an injury on the bird?

·
Registered
813 Posts
((If it has indeed been attacked by a cat.... it will require antibiotics.))

Is there any way to post a picture of the injury?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so if we caught it took it to a local vet would they be able to give the antibiotics needed then for as to re-release the pigeon, and if so what sort of time scale would the mother stay around for?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Okay so if we caught it took it to a local vet would they be able to give the antibiotics needed then for as to re-release the pigeon, and if so what sort of time scale would the mother stay around for?
that I do not know the answer to, about the mom staying around. . :eek: I am really hoping that Feefo signs on to answer that. You can also PM Charis....she is here in the states, but she is a wealth of info. as well. I'll do that for you too. BRB Stay with me here and Let me see if I can find Charis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay a friend of mine has just phoned to say that they have found someone who lives three roads away who has kept pigeons in the past, they are going to come round and take a look at the pigeon for us, they have said there is a bird rescue in leatherhead somewhere and if need be they will take the pigeon there for us, but they will assess the situation.
Thank you for all your help, its good to know there are people out there who dont' just think of pigeons as vermin, I personally think they are beautiful birds.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Mother cannot protect youngster from cats, therefore you need to take him somewhere safe. He needs to be treated with Amoxicilin antibiotic against bacteria in cat’s saliva (only Vet can prescribe these). If you post picture I may be able to tell you age of youngster and what you should expect as timeframe for release.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I wish you the very best of luck,

Please do check this thread as well....

Also, Please make sure the Rescue, is willing to help the bird... sometimes they will just tell you that.... Feefo may know of the rescue as she is very familiar with rescues/resources in your area check the thread today... to see further comments. I have directed both her and Charis here.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Here are some resources fro your area:

LONDON

London Wildcare,
Beddington Park,
Church Road,
Wallington,
Surrey SM6 7NN

020 8647 6230

Have not got the facilities to keep unreleasable pigeons or to care for pigeons suffering from PMV.

http://www.londonwildcaretrust.co.uk...s_hospital.htm

Pigeon Recovery
8 Vermont Road
Sutton
Surrey

If there is no-one in, facilities exist outside the front door for leaving poorly pigeons, and the sanctuary owners are never away overnight. If at all possible, a small contribution posted through the letterbox when you leave the bird(s) would go towards paying for the bird’s treatment, food etc.

http://www.pigeoncote.com/vet/recovery/recovery.htm

Swan and Friends Bird Rescue
55 Copsleigh Avenue ,
Salfords,
Redhill,
Surrey RG1 5BQ
Telephone 01737 773712 or 07712 753919

Pigeons count as friends of the swans. Links to other sanctuaries.

Wild Rescue and Ambulance Service (Enfield)
Wildlife Hospital & Animal Centre
Trent Park
Cockfosters Road
Barnet
EN4 0PS

Tel: 0208 344 2785 or 07970 141282

Email address: [email protected]

http://www.wras-enfieldwildlife.org.uk/gallerybirds.html

NORFOLK

Companion Care (Norwich) Ltd - Veterinary Surgeons
Pets at Home,
Sprowston Retail Park
Salhouse Road,
Norwich
Norfolk, NR7 9AZ.
Tel: 01603 484359
Fax: 01603 420901

Companion Care Vetereniray Surgeons
Pets at Home Retail Park
Hall Road
Norwich
Norfolk
NR4 6HD
Tel: 01603 623040

Open 7 days a week

All Creatures Healthcare Ltd
Brackenwood,
Sandy Lane
Horsford
NORWICH
NR10 3FB

Tel: 01603 898984

http://www.allcreatureshealthcare.com/

Louise Rayment-Dible has many years experience of caring for birds .

Wing and a Prayer Wild Bird and Owl Haven/Rescue
30, Cromer Road
Stratton Strawless
Norwich
Norfolk
NR10 5LU

Telephone: 0776 6685102

http://www.wingandaprayerhaven.org.uk

Hallswood Wildlife Sanctuary
Short Thorn Road,
Stratton Strawless,
Norfolk,
NR10 5NU,

Telephone: 01603 754 157
Alternative contact: in case of emergency:
Peter & Jenny Clayton: 01493 701 232
Mobile: 07919 285699

Treat pigeons with compassion and understanding. Can keep unreleasables

Seal and Bird Rescue Trust
The Barn Rescue Centre Mill Farm
Mill Common Lane
Ridlington
Norfolk
NR12 9TY

Telephone: 01692 650338

RSPCA East Winch Wildlife Centre
East Winch,
King's Lynn,
Norfolk
PE32 1NR

Tel: 0870 906 1420

Please only take healthy orphans for hand rearing to this RSPCA centre. The RSPCA have a reputation for putting pigeons to sleep on the basis that they are classified as pests and on a visit there I found nothing to suggest that they treated and rehabilitated adult birds..

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

Animals in Need
PIne TRee Farm
London Road
Little Irchester
Northants

01933 278080

Safewings,
46 South Street,
Isham,
Northamptonshire,
NN14 1HP,
United Kingdom.

01536 726113

Treat pigeons, cannot keep unreleasables but will probably hand them back to rescuer or to a sanctuary if requested to do so.

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE

Brinsley Animal Rescue
69 Hobsic Close
Brinsley
Nottingham
NG16 5AX

Tel. Local Rate 0845 458 2813

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Jenn, thank you for contacting me, I am sorry that I was not around, but the London Resources list that you posted is the limit of my knowledge. I am glad that the pigeon has been taken to safety and hope that it will be nursed back to health. If for any reason it is deemed to be unrelesable Pigeon Recovery in Sutton would be able to take it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts