Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My (estimated) 7-8 week old pigeon with severely splayed legs (awaiting surgery next week) has not grown full feathers and still has bald spots on the middle of his upper back. Is this normal? He seems developmentally delayed -perhaps due to the trauma in his fir t two weeks when he was found - and still does not eat fully on his own. He eats from my hands. Could the late feather growth also be due to delayed growth? Thank you.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The length of the feathers which are present, along with the absence of feathers elsewhere does seem to be abnormal. Usual cause of poor feather formation is nutritional deficiency. What brand / type of food and how much per day has he been eating? Also, is the bird currently on any sort of medication?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your response. He’s eating 4 times a day: cooked peas and corn with 15 grams (per day) of Harrison’s high potency pellets fine blended in plus Iowa pigeon feed and Hagen pigeon seed. He’s not on any medication. He has regular vet checks and is scheduled for surgery next Thursday. Perhaps he’s not eating enough?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here’s the feed and a photo of what the blended food plus seeds looks like. I hand feed him. He’s very affectionate. I have him on a sheepskin with a heat pad and blankets because he scoots so he needs padding to avoid injuries. I do worry that he doesn’t drink enough because he gets his water from what I blend into the food but doesn’t drink water himself. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. I do also give him ACV twice a week (two drops) and avian probiotics powder blended in his food.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ah! It's Liberace! :)

Is he active / energetic? If not then I'd say that it either isn't enough food (at 8 weeks he should be eating between 45 to 60 grams per day total), or the food is not supplying enough lipids (fats & oils - easiest form of energy for pigeons to metabolize), or he isn't digesting food well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah! It's Liberace! :)

Is he active / energetic? If not then I'd say that it either isn't enough food (at 8 weeks he should be eating between 45 to 60 grams per day total), or the food is not supplying enough lipids (fats & oils - easiest form of energy for pigeons to metabolize), or he isn't digesting food well.
It is Liberace!
I don’t know how to gauge and I think his current disability greatly impedes his activity level but he does not seem very active. He flaps his wings vigorously when he sees me and is hungry, when I pick him up and when he wants to scoot up to my neck. Otherwise he mostly sit stills or sleeps.
i will start measuring his food but I’m almost certain he gets at least 45-60 grams in per day. The 15grana of pellets are blended in to the cooked peas and corn and then I add the feed and seeds into that. What can I add for additional lipids? And what can o add to help his digestion? Thank you!

·
Registered
609 Posts
For lipids, extra virgin olive oil, or sunflower oil would be great -- easy to digest and lots of energy.

Did he have more feathers before, and is now loosing feathers? That would most likely be due to external parasites such as mites. I use a teaspoon of boric acid per quart of room-temperature water and bathe the birds in it (but not their head and beak) to get rid of mites.

What do her droppings look like?

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
He is very underdevelop for a pigeon almost 2 months old. Can you get a handraising formula for baby parrots (Kaytee exact)? Will provide him with all the nutrients needed.

·
Registered
609 Posts
He is very underdevelop for a pigeon almost 2 months old.
^ That's a good point. Why is the bird not eating a normal pigeon diet of various dry seeds? Was the cooked diet for some specific issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you both. He was on Kaytee by syringe. We were trying him to transition him to hand feeding and eventually self feeding so i made the mush of peas and corn with Harrison’s high potency formula pellets. That had the proper nutrition and vitamins so I’m hesitant to double it up with Kaytee because then I may be giving him too much of certain vitamins. What do you think? I’ve added pigeon feed and seeds to the pea and corn and pellet blend to help hi learn to eat seeds. He still does not eat just plain seeds though. Should i replace all of this with Kaytee and go back to force feeding with a syringe?

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
You can do the following: Get the Kaytee formula. Mix the powder with very little water to form a soft clay. Now make small balls (pea size) and feed this to him. You will need to open his beak and put a ball deep inside over his tongue. Let him swallow and proceed with the next one. Feed him about 25 to 30 balls at each feeding. But then he will need to drink water. After feeding, dip the tip of his beak in a small bowl of water (not over the nostrils as he can aspirate some water). When drinking water, the balls will dissolve in his crop.

After a couple of days, start teasing him by keeping the ball between your fingers in front of him. When he pecks the ball from your finger, start leaving some in a bowl and see if he will eat them. If he does, you can start adding some small seed.

Also get some liquid calcium with added Vit D3 to add to his drinking water.

·
Registered
609 Posts
He still does not eat just plain seeds though
If you could change that one thing, then he would be eating like any other two-month-old pigeon. Then any specific nutritional issues would be relatively easy to diagnose and address. As it is on the current diet with cooked peas and corn, I'd bet that he is getting too much protein and/or not enough fat, but I'm just guessing since I've never known any other pigeon on that type of diet. Have you tried placing small seeds in front of him on a firm surface, and then tapping at the seeds with a finger as though you are pecking at them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you could change that one thing, then he would be eating like any other two-month-old pigeon. Then any specific nutritional issues would be relatively easy to diagnose and address. As it is on the current diet with cooked peas and corn, I'd bet that he is getting too much protein and/or not enough fat, but I'm just guessing since I've never known any other pigeon on that type of diet. Have you tried placing small seeds in front of him on a firm surface, and then tapping at the seeds with a finger as though you are pecking at them?
Thank you for this insight. I will focus on transitioning her to seeds based meals without the peas and corn. I have tried the tapping of seeds but I also think that my anxiety about her eating enough makes me impatient with that process so i will keep trying. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hi! If someone could help you with the little one, you could start to hand feed him a mixture of seeds and dried legumes.

I'm going to explain our method: we use a "small shovel" like the one in the pics. You can make it in an easy way: cut a rectangle - about 4 or 5 cm x 1,5 cm - from a resistant cover of a magazine and bend it like in the photos.

The first person keeps the bird with one hand (left hand), the second person gently opens the beak and the first person gives the seeds with the other hand (right hand. If you are left-handed it's the contrary, of course). I attach a pic so you can get a better idea.

The amount of seeds on the shovel depends on the bird (the amount in the pic is the one "standard"). I "adapt" the amount of seeds and the composition of the mixture to each bird (for example, my blind pigeon Geordi eats 22 "shovels" twice a day. I'm used to give him a medium size mixture plus dried legumes: mung beans, small lentils and split peas. Mung beans increase in volume so, if you decide to hand feed them, don't give too much of them). Each pigeon is different so the important thing is to understand what is the best composition of mixture and the right amount for each one. With experience you will learn and understand everything.

Feeding seeds could stimulate him to start eating on his own. When you are feeding him, you could show him the little container/box containing his mixture (you can use a deep one like the one in the pic). Just put it in front of his face and tap your finger between the mixture. You need to attract his attention and stimulate his curiosity.

Be patient and give him time. If he has not a disability surely with time he will learn how to eat on his own.
Also remember to leave always available a plant pot saucer or a bowl filled with a large variety of seeds and dried legumes of different sizes and shapes (you can add even a mixture for canary containing dehydrated fruits. Usually birds love it. You can even leave available a bowl filled with only canary seeds).
Last March we rescued a baby pigeon horribly injured by a predator. We had to hand feed him for weeks (we gradually reduced the meals. We kept poops and crop monitored) but finally he started to eat on his own!

Surely your lovely bird will benefit from a varied and balanced diet.

You could even look for a complete vitamin supplement (vitamins, amino acids and trace elements) and add it to his drinking water.
Just to get you an idea I use this one:

Feathers are composed of keratin so it's important to give him a supplement containing amino acids.

You could add to the vitamin supplement a water soluble calcium supplement like this one:

Keep us updated!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts