Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found baby pidgeon (Belgrade, Serbia, Europe), fell from the roof. It looks very big, all covered with feathers. But won't eat. It was very afraid of people, fly into the room (the flight was short, and was easy to catch him).
I force him to eat (liquid food, grained oat and wheat, blended with water, wormed). In the pet shop, they had a poor supply of baby bird equipment, so I improvised with the smallest syringe from the pharmacy.
It will be two days since I had found him. When I opened the large cardboard box, his temporary home, he escaped, being very afraid.
I feed him couple times a day, because it is very hot, (29 C) and to achieve enough of an amount of 50 - 60ml.
The balcony is small, and not secure, so I covered his box with is's flaps.

Any advice, please.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sound like a fledgling who hasn’t learned how to eat on his own yet. He probably should have been put back where he was found, his parents were taking care of him. Force feeding seeds will make him figure it out faster, as well as feeding him only once or twice a day.

You need to bring him inside, it’s not safe for him in a cardboard box. If it’s covered he won’t be able to see well enough to eat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sound like a fledgling who hasn’t learned how to eat on his own yet. He probably should have been put back where he was found, his parents were taking care of him. Force feeding seeds will make him figure it out faster, as well as feeding him only once or twice a day.

You need to bring him inside, it’s not safe for him in a cardboard box. If it’s covered he won’t be able to see well enough to eat.
He was found in the small park, in front of my aparment. Dogs, Cats, kids - playgraund. I can't take him inside. :(

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you post a picture of the bird so we can get a better idea of his age. Force feeding seeds isn't a great idea unless he is drinking also. Giving water in a syringe into his beak can be dangerous as you can aspirate him. Posting a pic would be helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts