Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on a farm in Clarkfield MN. We have several wild pigeons that live in our grain bins. Today my daughters and I were out watching baby killdeer run around when my dog ran over to something flopping in the grass. It was a young pigeon. It can't use it's legs at all, they are very bruised and I think they are broken too. One had some blood and what looks to be a small puncture wound. He doesn't have any feathers on his breast, but there isn't any sign of injury there. I have outside cats, but they weren't anywhere near the area. They won't just hurt a bird and leave it either, they will eat it.

I brought him in and cleaned him up, that is why he looks wet in the pic.
I have him in a cage on a folded towel and I have started him on some antibiotics. He was very thirsty and drank quite a bit. We don't have ac so it's really warm in here. I haven't tried to feed him yet.

I have people on Facebook telling me to just put him down, but I've had chickens in much worse shape then this come out of it just fine. I figured I'd ask you guys what you think I should do.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
He deserves a chance. I've had injured pigeons just as bad, if not worse, recover. What antibiotic did you put him on? How much? Do you happen to have nay metacam?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Is there a vet you can take him to for the splinting? Then you could ask for metacam for pain management
He may not know how to eat on his own.Given his condition you may need to hand feed him for quite a while.

You can hand feed defrosted peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps because you are having a hard time handling the pigeon, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. This method confines the pigeon without hurting him and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop a pea at the back of the mouth and over the throat. It gets easier and faster, with practice, for both you and the bird.
You will need to feed 30-50 per feeding [depending on the size of the pigeon] and every time the crop empties until you know the baby is eating on his own. After a couple of feedings, most squeakers get the hang of it, pick up the peas on their own and naturally transition into a seed diet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the vets are closed now, I will call around in the morning and see if any of them will see him. Problem is most of the vets around here are for livestock, cats and dogs. The closest thing to a rehaber around here is me. I've raised baby starlings and squirrels.

I looked at his legs closer and I don't think they are broken, at least not the lower parts. They are just really bruised and I see a bruise coming out on his breast too, no bite marks though. I did get him to drink some of the medicated water. The pigeons around here love to eat the chicken feed and corn I put out. I gave him a dish with some feed and some cockateil food in it just to see if he would try to eat any. I don't have any peas, will need to run to the store and get some.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for helping this youngster.

The hand fed peas would be big plus in helping the youngster recover and it is easy to give.

Arnica Montana is a wonderful holistic medicine that helps with major trauma, like bruising, sprain and cleaning up blood. If you can get access to that, it would help.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Try to get some metacam if you can. It will relieve the swelling and give him some relief from the pain. Please don't give it though until we can help you with a dose.
I had a very injured pigeon a few months ago that had injured feet and legs. It took him 3 months to recover but he did.
I'm glad he's eating and drinking on his own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts