Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi yesterday my son found a young pigeon or dove not sure in the garden, as it was bank holiday the only food we were able to get was wild bird seed which he seemed to enjoy, my son is shutting him in the shed at night but leaving the door open in the day so he can poddle about, he does seem able to fly, he is flapping streching his wings more today, he still has a few downy feathers around his neck, we are going to get some pigion food from the pet shop tomorrow, the bird does not seem injured at all, and he makes every effort to get away from us, there are no trees close enough for him to have fell out of a nest, There was however a major disturbance at the prison which is only a few hundred yards away we think he may have come from there with all the noise and smoke, we dont know, we want him to survive, hes lasted 36 hours with us now. what else can we do

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you for caring for this pigeon. He is still a baby and probably has another week or so before he will be able to fly and survive on his own. If you are able, please do catch him and contain him in a cage, hutch, or even the shed will do. You can keep him in the shed and allow him out in an enclosed area of some kind during the day if possible. It is important to contain him for his own safety as he is hugely vulnerable at this age and many predators will be after him. If you can get a picture we can give you a better idea of how long it will be before he's on his own. Usually a bit of yellow hairs on the head and neck mean he's almost there. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi thanks for the reply, we are keeping him in the shed today, letting him out after work when my son can watch him its a big barn type of shed, so he has plenty of room to move around, my son has got quite fond of him, hes sleeping in the box we got for him its only cardboard on its side with rabbit hay in, but he seems to like it. we are hoping that he will live it must be a good sign that hes eating plenty, thanks again for the advice, the rspca and animal rescues that we rang were no help at all they said leave it, most dissapointing. will keep u posted on his progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
well my son has just phoned harry the pigion is fine this morning, still eating, so thats good i guess the longer we can keep him eating the better his chances, bless him

·
Registered
5 Posts
well harry has survioured another day, tonight when my son let him out of the shed, he was flapping his wings, (please excuse wrong words if there are any) and he got airbourn and started to fly for about 1 meter, we dont think it will be long for hes off, bless him we will be sad to see him go, we must doing something right, as he seems to be getting stronger he could only woddle around the other day. well pleased. i will try and get a picci

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well done!!! Sounds like the best thing you CAN do for him, you ARE doing for him! You've given him shelter, food & water - - - and a chance to develop into a FLYING bird!

Miss him, you will...but you'll absolutely KNOW that, without your help, he probably wouldn't have made it. It's a big bad world for a baby who can't yet fly!

·
Registered
875 Posts
hi thanks for the reply, we are keeping him in the shed today, letting him out after work when my son can watch him its a big barn type of shed, so he has plenty of room to move around, my son has got quite fond of him, hes sleeping in the box we got for him its only cardboard on its side with rabbit hay in, but he seems to like it. we are hoping that he will live it must be a good sign that hes eating plenty, thanks again for the advice, the rspca and animal rescues that we rang were no help at all they said leave it, most dissapointing. will keep u posted on his progress.
the RSPCA will not help you(take it your in the uk),they dont hold pigeons in very high regard im afraid!you will get lots of sound advice on here!also look on "pigeon aid uk"for basic health advice,,is he drinking ok?offer him fresh clean water in a bowl,he may need a bigger bowl for bathing(cat litter tray or washing up bowl would do)pigeons love bathing!he sounds like hes doing fine,if hes eating etc

·
Registered
5 Posts
an update on harry, he seems to be able to fly a bit more, when my son goes in the shed to let him out hes sitting on one of the shelves in there, so must be flying up to them, he doesnt seem to want to fly away, hes getting used to my son now, he doesnt run away from him now he just sits and looks at him, waiting for his breakfast, and tea. bless him hes such a cutie, he poddles around the garden as if he owns the place, guess adrains garden is his new home. hope so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts