Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone I am in LONDON UK

Last night there were 2 small pigeons downstairs from where I live, someone was moving out yesterday and I think he might have put them down there from his balcony

We put them off the ground on top of some sheds where incase the mum came back to feed them.

This morning at about 8.30 they were still there so I called the RSPCA who told me to keep an eye on them for a couple of hours because the mum is probably coming back to feed them.

At 10.30 my partner went down and one of them had been killed and the crows were eating it

We have now got the other one in a cardboard box on our balcony

A adult pigeon came to our balcony and the baby was calling out for it and came out of its box ... then the adult went away and came back with another 2 pigeons they keep coming and going

I read on here about the siringe and rubber glove method of feeding so i mixed up some ready break with water for him or her to eat but dont seem keen... it only had about 2-3 mls of that. I have offered bread and some seed but it dont seem interested.

Is there anything I can feed it? I feel so sorry for the poor little thing, he aint a tiny chick but he cant fly

thanks

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Did you notice whether the adult pigeons were feeding the little one? It looks as if it is old enough for its parents to recognise it outside the nest and feed it.

What you could do is put some clean kitchen towel under it and see what its poops are like. If they are plump and brown then the parents are feeding it. If they are scanty and green then he isn't getting enough food.

If they aren't then you might have to help it along by defrosting some peas and corn in hot water, openng the baby's mouth and pushing the kernels and peas in...about 30, three times a day. This video shows how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow

You could also put some warm water in a container and dip his beak in it to encourage him to drink.

Alternatively you could take it to a wildlife hospital or pigeon rescue place. This link has a list of the places that will help pigeons:

http://pigeonrescueuk.webs.com/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks feefo its poop is bright green like floresent

I dont have frozen peas and corn .. can I feed him sweet corn and peas from the tin?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Yes, they will do...Pigeon Recovery use that.

When you used the rubber glove method was the Ready Brek warm? Pigeons have a slightly higher body temperature than us, they will refuse to eat by that method unless the food is warm (but not too warm!)...39C is best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks :) it was warm like as warm as you would feed it to a baby im gonna try some peas and corn from the tin.. I will warm them up first tho

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Nikki,

well done for looking out for this youngster. If the baby has been brought up by it's parents to date it won't adapt as well at this age as a much younger baby to being syringe fed. As Feefo says, the temperature is a possible reason.
If the poops are that green it is in need of food asap, so I'd stick with the peas as it's urgent.

Did you notice if the parents were still returning at regular intervals later?

If you are around to keep a close eye during the daytime tomorrow you could try once more to pop the bird on your balcony for a while and watch to see if they come down and feed it.
Obviously it will need to be put safely out of sight of the crows, possibly in a box turned on it's side for shelter, and also only if there's no danger of it falling to the ground.
If they did manage to feed it you'd still need to bring it back in each night though for warmth and possibly some more food to make sure it's having enough.
If they aren't coming back then you will need to carry on feeding.

Do keep us posted on how you're getting on. Good luck,

Janet

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
try to get frozen peas and corn soon, canned stuff usually has to much sodium in it, not good for birds but okay in small amounts but not as a everyday diet

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
try to get frozen peas and corn soon, canned stuff usually has to much sodium in it, not good for birds but okay in small amounts but not as a everyday diet

I agree with you.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Nikki, check the cans you are using for the salt/sodium/salt equivalent levels. I checked my cans and the peas in the freezer, the sodium content of both the cans and the frozen food is described as "trace <1%." which suggests that there is very little - if any - difference between the peas in my cupboard and the peas in my freezer. It might be different in the US, here in the UK we have the Food Standards Agency and the food industry working to meet "challenging salt reduction targets." :)

However, using cans can be a bit wasteful as the contents start to go off once the can is opened. With frozen foods you can use exactly the amount you need and it won't be even the tiniest bit "off".

How is the baby today? And what are his poops looking like?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone thanks for helping me with this little bird :) I think i have learned a lot about pigeons since yesterday thanks to this site :D

He seems ok today when i gave him corn last night i didnt open his mouth and put it in i just put it on his little dish in the box and he ate it, I also gave him some soggy digestive biscuit and he ate it all.

At the moment he is on the balcony and I think its his mum that comes to see him but I dont know if she has fed him or not.

The tinned sweetcorn says sodium 0.3g per 100g but I am off to asda soon so I will buy him some frozen corn and peas

The poop is more like brown with white bits in ... is that ok?

How old do you think he is going by the pic?

Thanks again for all your help :D :D

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
You are doing very well and the poops sound healthy!

I would say he is over 20 days old...probably 22? It will be great if the parents are looking after him, the father bird usually shows the fledgelings around so that they know where to find food etc. When the babies are young the parents only recognise them by the location of the nest, but by 20 days the parents will recognise - and feed - the youngsters outside the nest.

You might want to add some wild bird food to his diet, but make certain that he is drinking water as well.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Nikki,

Well the poops sound a much better colour now at least so the food must be getting through his system.
I'd keep and eye on how often the parent comes down and maybe leave some seeds and water in with him while he's out there too.
It's good that he's able to pick up the food himself and may just try some for himself.
Also if there is some food out there when the mum comes down she might stop and have a feed which will help her and encourage her to stay around in order to feed him.

Still watch out for the poops, they tell you if he's feeding and I'd still top him up in the evening with some peas and or sweetcorn and put him outside again early morning for the parent to find again if she's still coming regularly.

It's ideal if he's still in contact with the parent as when the time comes for him to fly they will encourage him. It will be harder to integrate him into the wild if he's totally reliant on you when that time comes.
If they do abandon him then it might be better for him to go to a wildlife centre for release.

You're doing very well by the sound of it,

Janet

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got him some frozen peas and corn from asda... the sodium content is nil :)

I got him some bird seed too

Just going to give him some dinner now :)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
That is good...any sign of the parents?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
You wonderful people on this post is going just wonderful and I have read the whole thread and I realize that it is better for the baby to have the parents around to feed it and train it to survive well in the wild but I wanted to share my concern with you. That babies nest area was disturb by a hawk and if you do put the little one out on the balcony and with the safeguards you described please watch the situation at all times and don't put him out when you are not really watching him for that crow might very well be back or even something else that could get him...You all are doing so well and this is not a criticism at any point of this rescue but I am certainly afraid it could turn out bad after all your hard work..He is on the right track and I will be watching this thread and the baby bird sure does look wonderful to me...Love to read about birds doing well with all the help on the thread including the wonderful caretaker....c.hert

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it was the parents who visited today one keeps watch while one jumps down to see to him but I havent seen her feed him because when i go near the window she flys away.

The crows didnt get the babies from the nest I think someone got rid of the nest when they were moving out and the 2 chicks were downstairs in the carpark.

If I would of took them in that night I would have saved them both but I didnt and thought they would be safe on the sheds where the parents could find them but the next day the crows got one so thats when my partner bought the other one in.

I live on the 5th floor and the baby bird lives on my balcony in a box the crows have not been near him only pigeons. Im in most of the day so keep watch on him, I cant let him live indoors because I have a dog and he wants to get to the bird.

I think he is safe out there and cant fall off

You should see him gobble his peas and corn he loves them! :D

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Nikki,

Hopefully if they are still coming back and forth they might be feeding. It wouldn't take long and then they'll go off again.

Sounds like you've found his favourite food, so glad he's feeding well by himself, he's going to get spoilt!
You could count out a number of peas you put down for him and then you can tell how many have gone.
I'd leave some seeds around him aswell so he gets used to different foods, (in case he can't find peas out in the wild). ;)

Very wise to keep him clear of your dog, I know mine would love to get to my birds!!

Brilliant progress, keep us posted.

Janet

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Janet

I gave him for his dinner 15 peas and 15 bits of corn and he gobbled them all up so i gave him 7 more of each about an hour later and he gobbled them too ...

He had got his digestive biscuit that he pecks at and I bought some bird seed today so he has got some just outside of his box (he can walk in and out)

I think he is doing great I will miss him when he goes away :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts