Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a young pigeon just about ready to fly with a hurt leg. He was hiding under a car in a parking lot. I have been reading other forums about it pigeons with similar injuries. I can't feel any break or abnormalities from the other leg. He limps and doesn't put any weight on it. But he can still move his foot and sometimes lightly touches it to the ground but he doesn't put as much weight on it as the other foot and mostly leaves it dangling by his side. I have made a donut shape out of a towel so he can sit and leave his foot in the middle like people in other threads said to do. How do I tell wether it will get better with rest or if it is more serious and needs more attention.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Hard to say without an X-ray. He may have just injured it. But he may also have gotten grabbed by a predator, in which case he should have antibiotics. Can he grab on with the foot? Have you checked him all over to be sure he has no wounds, even tiny ones? Can you post a pic to give us an idea of his age? Is he being kept in a cage? Has he been eating, and drinking? Maybe it just needs rest, but can't know that from here.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Most important is that the bird is eating and drinking-for him to get better, AND to get an x-ray to determine whether the foot is just bruised and swollen or broken.

Also, do you notice any bruising, swelling or break in skin on the hurt leg?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am still working on getting a picture up but he is eating and drinking on his own. He seems otherwise healthy no scratches or bruises.he seems to have started using it more now. He touches it to the ground for support but doesn't put his full weight on it.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Are you sure he is eating enough?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts