Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a young pigeon I found yesterday with canker that almost totally blocks his throat. We've tube fed pigeons before, so last night we mixed a spartrix into some baby bird food mix and tried to give it to him, but could not fit it down - it was just too blocked. This morning he seemed very weak so we tried again (but without any spartrix as we didn't think we'd get the tube down and didn't want to waste the pill as we were trying to get him in to see someone as soon as possible). Anyway - this time the tube went down when we applied a little more force - it slid down the side.

This afternoon when I got home he was breathing worse - some open mouthed. As I watched him he became very distressed, moving around the cage gasping and I thought he was going to die. It stabilized and he went back to open mouthed breathing. I just checked on him and he looks a little better now - his beak is closed when he breathes again.

Here is my question. He has an appointment with a rehabilitation place tomorrow at 2:30 - so around 20 hours from now - although I may have to wait awhile, so say in around 24 hrs. Should we try to feed him tonight with some spartrix so he has some meds to start fighting this thing (and some food), or is it possible we shifted it earlier so that it started to block his trachea worse and we should just leave him as is for the next 20 hrs.

He is very thin. I don't know when he ate last besides what we gave him this morning. He got around 25 mls of food this morning - maybe 30, but it was very very watery - more water than food as I figured he needed water for sure and wasn't sure how much food he could handle at once and had originally planned to feed and dose him later today. He is pooping some, but not much and not good - watery and yellow-ish chalky looking. His trip to the rehabilitation place is going to be stressful tomorrow - an hour on the subway. I am going back and forth between meds and food for strength and letting it alone in case I shift it worse.

If anyone has any advice I'd be so gratful.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Since you can tube feed if you can make up something like in the link below you may be able to "twirl" the thin tube through the blockage and you could tube meds and a thin formula mix. Depending where you are taking him, they might just consider him too far gone and PTS (put to sleep) make sure they are going to fight for this little guy.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=507135&postcount=4

Karyn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karyn,

Thank you so much - that looks about like what I used only the tube is pre-made from a vet's office - it's less than 3 mm wide. So you think that's thin enough that it wouldn't shift the mass too much?

I will make sure he gets his chance - the place I'm taking him is really great, just short on space - if they have no space and you are willing to keep the bird and take care of him, they give you advice and medicines and do check-ups. They know I'm willing to care for them till they can go free, so I am sure I will be keeping this guy if he makes it till tomorrow. They do euthanize sometimes, but they really try not to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now he's starting to breath open mouthed a little again - not as bad as his episode where he looked on the verge of death, but I can hear him breath and he's open mouthed and looking uncomfortable again.

I wonder if I got some food down his trachea??? He wasn't doing this last night or this morning. He smells worse too - does the disease just progress quicker once it hits a tipping point? I am going to feel so horrible if this poor beautiful baby dies gasping for breath.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
When I had pigeons with that bad canker I opted to use a syringe and feed drop by drop. You can also dissolve the spartrix in some water and give it that way. I would definately start him on canker meds asap.
After that you can start him on a thin formula. Some food in his tummy is better than none especially since he is having a long day ahaid tomorrow he will need the energy to make it.
I guess, since you are familiar with pigeons you have him on a heating pad.
Good luck tomorrow, hope this little one can be saved.

Reti

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Karyn,

Thank you so much - that looks about like what I used only the tube is pre-made from a vet's office - it's less than 3 mm wide. So you think that's thin enough that it wouldn't shift the mass too much?

I will make sure he gets his chance - the place I'm taking him is really great, just short on space - if they have no space and you are willing to keep the bird and take care of him, they give you advice and medicines and do check-ups. They know I'm willing to care for them till they can go free, so I am sure I will be keeping this guy if he makes it till tomorrow. They do euthanize sometimes, but they really try not to.
The tube in that photo is a bit deceiving I think, it is extremely thin, it is the hard tubing from an 8oz spray bottle pump, and thinner than 3mm. You may need the firmness to slowly twist and make your way past the blockage.

Karyn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you so much for the advice. Karyn, I'll look for that tubing for next time.

i left the room for no more than half an hour and when i just went back in he was dead. i feel so bad. i don't know if i hurt him more than i helped - and the thing that sickens me most is that when i could not feed him last night, the rehabber told me i could drop him off today at 11 am and pick him up in the evening - but then when i got food down him this morning i thought he'd be ok till tomorrow and i said i'd bring him tomorrow myself because i had this meeting i could make that way - i didn't know he was going to get worse during the day - he was breathing ok when i left - i thought getting food down him and starting the meds tonight was ok.

i wonder if i shifted something, got something down his trachea. his mass oozed and bled just a little when i got the tube down, maybe that?

and it kills me that he was most likely gasping and terrified at the end. i am feeling sick. i think i did about everything wrong this time. he was just out of the nest.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Please don't beat yourself up over this at all. You did your best and that all we all do, we try our best, our heart is in the right place, sometimes things work out and sometimes we get out heart broken. I think he knew you were trying hard for him, there times no matter how hard we try they are just too far along in their illness to bring them back. Bless you for so hard trying.

Karyn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you guys. So much. Had a good long cry and now back to the world. I will look for that 8 oz spray bottle tube in case I ever find something like this again and can't get help. Something thin thin thin. I had already grabbed another from that flock half dead with canker in December, but he made it. I saw another one when I got this little guy that looked wrong too, but he's still strong enough to run around and fly away - just seems to have a hard time getting food down - coughs it back up. I have no idea where they drink though - they just hang out in this avenue with sculpture during the days which is where I see them - middle of the city. I imagine they find puddles.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I am so sorry. Thanks for trying to save this little guy.

Reti

·
Registered
670 Posts
Trich birds often have an abundance of mucus in their beaks. That plus the caseous material that gets produced as a result of the trich can often obstruct the glottis, leading to respiratory distress. A bird can look like he is dying, gasping for breath, but once you clear the glottis (by swabbing gently with a Q-tip), they can breathe again.

It sounds like the rehab place you are referring to is Wild Bird Fund. In my experience, they do try to help trich birds recover (although if the bird has any residual damage from the trich like a scissored beak, they will be killed). Birds with other issues, however, is a whole different story.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts