Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my young bird which is 40 days old seems thin and has poor quality feathers. The feathers are not strong, seems soft and tail feathers have bent down as they are long. But the other bird which is just 3 days older than this seems pretty ok.

I am giving it vitamins and calcium suppliment on a regular basis but still it seems thin with poor feathers and underdevelped chest. When the crop is empty the bird looks as if the chest has gone right inside.

I am very eager to fly this bird and expect good performance from it. So plz suggest any other suppliments if any to make this bird strong and develop good feathers? I am posting the pic of this bird as well...

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
How does the poops look ? Vitamins are necessary 1-2 days per week, calcium can be provided daily basis. Whats the diet for the birds ? Was the flock dewormed ? The easiest thing to do is to get a fecal sample test.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does the poops look ? Vitamins are necessary 1-2 days per week, calcium can be provided daily basis. Whats the diet for the birds ? Was the flock dewormed ? The easiest thing to do is to get a fecal sample test.

The poops are normal, nutty brown. I am feeding finger millets, green peas and soaked bengal gram for this bird. It was also dewormed a few weeks back and found no worms. BTW I gave olny 0.2 ml of piperazine, so if the dosage is low are there any chances of worms not getting killed?

Otherwise the bird is normal with retarded growth. I suspect that it didn't get enough nutrients from it's parents. I have noticed the parents feeding this bird with only water and no food many a days. At that time the parents were refusing food due to some reason (may be cocci or similar). So this bird didn't get adequate food from 20th to 30th day I guess.

BTW I am giving calcium on a daily basis with vimeral as well. The bird is growing but not upto the mark for it's age. Do you suggest any suppliment that could boost it's growth?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
You can separate that bird and feed it independently. It does look skinny and hopefully it is not sick (such as having worms). I suppose the bird is not strong/aggressive enough to fight for its food so it probably only gets leftovers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can separate that bird and feed it independently. It does look skinny and hopefully it is not sick (such as having worms). I suppose the bird is not strong/aggressive enough to fight for its food so it probably only gets leftovers.
Actually I am handfeeding this bird right from the day I seperated it from it's parents. I always ensure that it's crop is full. In addition I am giving vitamins and calcium suppliments on a daily basis. The bird seems to have shown good improvement but still not upto the mark. Can you suggest any feed that is rich in nutrients and boost th growth.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Actually I am handfeeding this bird right from the day I seperated it from it's parents. I always ensure that it's crop is full. In addition I am giving vitamins and calcium suppliments on a daily basis. The bird seems to have shown good improvement but still not upto the mark. Can you suggest any feed that is rich in nutrients and boost th growth.
Its not nutrient deficiency in food which is the issue here but mostly a disease/infection (either still on going or recently recovered from).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its not nutrient deficiency in food which is the issue here but mostly a disease/infection (either still on going or recently recovered from).
Actually the bird is active, eats normally and the poops are perfect (nutty brown). It can even fly to roof top sometimes. I dewormed it a few weeks ago and found no worms. Should I deworm it once again (with more dosage ie: 03-05 ml) and will this help? Or else what might be the issue?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The deworming dosage and schedule depends on type of worm and deworming does not treat for E.Coli, Cocci etc. Weight loss/skinny appearance can be associated with a variety of issues so cannot pin point a disease without tests.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Can the bird possess a disease even if the poops are normal?
May not in most of the cases but then physical appearance of the poop is not something which can be solely depended upon to rule off the presence of disease. When a pigeon is too skinny, it calls for medical examination despite the fact that poops appear normal.

Also, JMHO, each indivisual pigeon is different, hobbyists' methods and processes are different, well prominent diseases like PMV may give steady indications, many other infections can show varying symptoms in different pigeons, atleast in the earlier stages.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts