Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Im new here but theres (what i assume to be) a young pigeon by my back gate... its been there since atleast 2 oclock this afternoon but could of been much longer.

It looks like a young bird as although it appear to have its adult feathers there a few odd fluffy feathers on his head and his beak looks rounded and not like adult pigeons beaks look.

Its just sitting there out in the cold hunched up... i can glide but doesnt seem able to fly. I managed to catch him and quickly check him over and he doesnt have any obvious injuries or wound or anything.

Ive put him a bowl of water right by him and some meal worms, sunflower seeds and peanuts but he hasnt touched them.

Its going to start getting dark inthe next few hours and i dont want the cat get him or anything else.

do i leave him where his is and hope for the best? bring him inside and try look after him? but him on a shed roof and hope he doesnt fall and hurt himself?

Thanks in advance!

Amy

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
The youngster is probably a fledgling. Is the wood pigeon or feral pigeon?

Do you see any parent birds around, perhaps a distance away?

The parent birds should still be close by-because they feed the bird (the bird may not be weaned), but if you think a cat or other predator is going to get him, please do bring him inside and put the bird in a carrier. See if the parents return in the morning to care for it and return outside.

Here is a UK link on baby pigeon care-(they don't eat worms), and resources to find help in your area.

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/caringforababypigeon.htm

H

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know what kind of pigeon it is to be honest.... i didnt know there were different types. I cant see any parents but i can hear lots of chirping comming from i assume my roof. I can see him from my kitchen window and havent seen any sign of any parents comming to him.

If i bring him in tonight what do i feed him?... im at work from 8am tomorrow until 10pm so do i just put in outside in the morning and see what happens?

Thanks
amy

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I think you should bring him in atleast for the night if it is getting dark, there are many nocturnal predators too.you can feed him corn and peas down the throat.the video in link will be helpful:

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/peasandcorn.htm

In morning if you can see any parents you can leave him in garden and watch if they come to feed, if not you can feed him again in morning and leave for work. Do you think he will be safe in house when you leave for work?also if you can get some pigeon mix and keep it infront of him in a bowl, he may try to pick and eat smaller grains in this age.leavig him alone in garden will be easy for a predator to catch a flightless bird.
You can try calling rehabbers or rescue centres close by and ask if they take him.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If you took him inside and you have frozen or even boiled peas, you could give him like 30 peas (until the crop gets round, but not completely filled. Canned corn is also good.

You must give some soft, slighlty warmed food and water, ideally also slighlty warmed (little above room temperature).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I bought a Baku Crack Tumbler to show at my county fair and I am Wondering If I could feed It fruits and veggies? Any help will be so helpful. Thanks!!!
Bella

1 - 6 of 6 Posts