Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm hoping someone might be able to help. While out shopping about an hour ago I came across a small pigeon sitting in the road in the underground car park. He didn't seem active and wasn't trying to fly so I brought him home and found that he seems to be about 22/23 days old according to the age pictures I've seen online. He won't drink water if I place his beak in it and he had no interest in seed despite being pretty thin. I'm guessing he could be to young to eat and drink on his own? I've managed to get a few drops of water in his mouth which he swallowed well as well as a few smaller seeds.
I'm going to try feeding him again in an hour before I go to bed, is there anything in particular I can try? I read that soaked dog food is good so have some soaking as we speak.
Any advice would be great. Also advise on how long it might take before he can be released?

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

First, here is a site which gives a lot of info on caring for a baby pigeon, really any age up to adulthood.

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/caringforababypigeon.htm

On the same site there is a page on UK rescue centres.

Can you tell us where you are, and what kind of pigeon this is (feral, wood pigeon)?

A pic would be useful.

It may well be a youngster, but it may be injured or ill too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply :)

I'm in Farnborough, Hampshire but work in surrey and can hopefully get him to wildlife aid in my lunch break. They are a rehab centre so will be fine to deal with him.

As far as I can tell he is a normal city pigeon. I had a good check for injuries and couldn't see anything.
It is fireworks night, so I am wondering if he's been spooked over the weekend when lots went off, hid in the underground carpark and so hasn't eaten or drunk much in a few days. He already seems more alert since the last feed. He's even trying to peck at me when I pick him up. Were just finished up another very small feed or mushy dog food and seed mixed as we didn't want to over feed him considering he's so small. How often and how much do you think I should be feeding him?

I'm not sure hoe to do photos on here but here is a link, hope it works.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fzackm6gfgbuq1/Photo 06-11-2013 00 37 33.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

Thanks for posting link; he is a feral youngster indeed. Getting him to a rescue centre will be good, as he can hopefully be released with others and he should learn, too, from other pigeons.

How many feeds really depends on how much he has at one 'sitting'. In terms of, say, peas/sweetcorn a young one could be given 40 - 50 twice a day, as a guide to bulk of food (they're thawed in hot water from a freezer pack). If he is getting seed, that's good, as he should be starting on them now. Even though you are feeding him, leave a little dish of seed and pot of water, as he should be exploring food.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Important

Important!

Have been informed that Wildlife Aid put down two young pigeons that someone we know had been hand raising, because they 'did not have the resources'.

So, an alternative is best unless they are willing to state they will not put him down. In fact, it is always best to check any rescue's current policy as a matter of course before taking in a bird.

If at some point you can reach Wallington, Sarah at Starlight Trust is one of our members on FB (Pigeon Protection and Rescue).

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can give it peas to eat make sure they aren't hot or cold. Make sure the pigeon stays warm and hydrated. I feed my pigeon dry dog food and put it into the water then win it looks like a sponge feed it to the pigeon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts