Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there all,

I was chatting to a fellow fancier at the Sun City Million Dollar Race whilst waiting for the birds to come in, he mentioned something to me that has me quite perplexed and a little concerned, he told me that there is no way that a pigeon will fly over a mountain, it will rather go around.

I have highlighted the crest of our mountain range in yellow, the two red circles are the clubs we fly against, the blue circle is us. The line coming into the blue circle is our direction of liberation.

You will see that there are only two gaps in the mountain range, one being on the right, and the other on the left, basically in line with our competing clubs.

What are your opinions on this?? Will the birds only come through at those gaps or will they come over the mountain? If they only come through those gaps, we don't stand a chance against the other clubs.

Link to Google image http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i417/Andy_Gill/?action=view&current=12.jpg

Sorry I had to link the image, I could not get it to appear in the forum. If one of the Mods would like to activate it please do.

Andy

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Here's the pic he's talking about.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Hi there all,

I was chatting to a fellow fancier at the Sun City Million Dollar Race whilst waiting for the birds to come in, he mentioned something to me that has me quite perplexed and a little concerned, he told me that there is no way that a pigeon will fly over a mountain, it will rather go around.

I have highlighted the crest of our mountain range in yellow, the two red circles are the clubs we fly against, the blue circle is us. The line coming into the blue circle is our direction of liberation.

You will see that there are only two gaps in the mountain range, one being on the right, and the other on the left, basically in line with our competing clubs.

What are your opinions on this?? Will the birds only come through at those gaps or will they come over the mountain? If they only come through those gaps, we don't stand a chance against the other clubs.

Link to Google image http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i417/Andy_Gill/?action=view&current=12.jpg

Sorry I had to link the image, I could not get it to appear in the forum. If one of the Mods would like to activate it please do.

Andy
Every other year or so, we go through the same thing in our Combine. When we fly the one course, the clubs on the left side of the mountain wins, and when we fly the other course, the clubs on the right side of the mountain wins. When we fly one or the other, typically a club will "quit" until the course which benifits them is reinstated. Welcome to the world of pigeon racing ! In these situations, loft location can play a big role in who wins on race day.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Pigeons probably prefer to fly though the valleys, but if the conditions are right, I don't see why they couldn't fly over it. I guess it also depends on how tall the mountain is :eek:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Every other year or so, we go through the same thing in our Combine. When we fly the one course, the clubs on the left side of the mountain wins, and when we fly the other course, the clubs on the right side of the mountain wins. When we fly one or the other, typically a club will "quit" until the course which benifits them is reinstated. Welcome to the world of pigeon racing ! In these situations, loft location can play a big role in who wins on race day.
That is another benefit of a one loft race.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
They will if they have to, and if they are trained to. Obviously a pigeon who has never seen a mountain before, will try to go around it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
pigeons will not fly over mountains
Mine will, they have no choice on our course its full of mountains, pigeons can fly in the mountains and over if trained to do so, A club to the west of us liberates the races on this side of the cascade mountain range.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Hi there all,

Andy
If I were you I will train them to fly to those gaps. What happens in pigeon gps experiment is that pigeons will try the shortest route so if you release them in one spot they will fly one way. Next time you release them, they will fly another path. They will try different paths until they memorize the shortest or the least effort. It sucks that I can't find the research paper.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
At my place it is the opposite. Hawks fly low and falcons fly high. The falcons try to get my birds up there and when they go down the Cooper tries to get them. Redtail do fly high at my place though.

I think pigeons are medium height flier.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Boy tough place to be in, you will soon find out that fairness in pigeon flying is the most "argued" and "debated" subject in this sport, those that have an advantage will hold on to it with all their might and will never consider change that may take that advantage away, sort of the "holy grail" of the sport, yet there are ways to make it "FAIR" for "ALL" of us that fly in this sport but you will always hear that it can not be done, that it is impossible, usually this comes from those that are afraid of losing their advantage in flying birds! Anyways Good luck in your flying those mountain gaps!:)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Very interesting as pigeons lost in Wales in the uk which is known for its hills and mountains seem to very rarely make it back or even attempt to make it back home.Ive had 40 or 50 strays land at my loft over the years when living there and can verify what fanciers have said to me about getting them back with i would say 80% of them saying the same thing that they wouldnt clear the hills and mountains.
Ive still got 2 / 3 with me to this day.Must be something to it .

·
Registered
260 Posts
I usually train my birds up in the mountains about 7,000 to 15,000 feet and most of the time I see race birds flying over the mountains where I release my birds. I believe healthy strong birds will fly over mountain if they want to and unhealthy or tired race birds will not even try to fly over. instead they will use the canyons to get home.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Boy tough place to be in, you will soon find out that fairness in pigeon flying is the most "argued" and "debated" subject in this sport, those that have an advantage will hold on to it with all their might and will never consider change that may take that advantage away, sort of the "holy grail" of the sport, yet there are ways to make it "FAIR" for "ALL" of us that fly in this sport but you will always hear that it can not be done, that it is impossible, usually this comes from those that are afraid of losing their advantage in flying birds! Anyways Good luck in your flying those mountain gaps!:)
Sounds like a man who speaks from experience ! :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts