Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have some absolutely beautiful birds, did you raise all the 2009 ones yourself?
And I saw some with red bands and blue bands... what year are they? I only started last year so I've really only seen 2008 and 2009 bands:eek:
Actually, none of them are 2009 birds. The ones with yellow bands are 2004 birds from Foys. The one's with blue bands are 2005 birds that I raised from the 04 birds and I used to fly for awhile. The only red band bird I have is Slip, who's a 2006 bird, but I didn't get a good picture of her. You may be mistaking the red snap band on Honey for a permanent band. Some of them are really 2004 birds, but banded with old bands. LadyBird is a 1996 bird that was given to me by another flier.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ladybirds older than I am!:eek:
Pigeons in the wild, will usually live 3 to 5 years, tops, but in captivity, pigeons can live 15 to 20 yeas, if well cared for.

Some have lived longer in captivity.

OBTW... the American Racing Pigeon Union (ARPU) come in 5 colors, Red, White, Green, Yellow and Blue, which rotate every 5 years, thus:

2004 - Yellow
2005 - Blue
2006 - Red
2007 - White
2008 - Green
2009 - Yellow
2010 - Blue
2011 - Red
2012 - White
2013 - Green
2014 - Yellow

... see the pattern?

Other suppliers of bands do differently, some order custom colors and other organizations do differently, but that's what the ARPU does.

As for the really old style metal bands that had the organization, club, year, bird's number on it... I once saw a video where it showed a person operating the embossing machine that was used to create them. I thought it was pretty cool and from time to time try to search the internet and/or eBay for one, but I doubt many were ever made or I'm not looking in the right place as I've never seen one for sale.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'v seen those too, I sure would love to have one of those, I think maybe I'll try and find one and buy it.
Hehe, and my little brother james spent over 30 dollars on a new video game, I told him I was saving my money for things worthwhile, and I think he's a little puzzled but he won't be when I bring home a new bird someday:D

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've seen birds on Eggbid.com, some pretty cheap.
The thing is my grandpa doesn't really like fancy breeds, he says "It's not right that people made a breed that can't fly, if it can't fly it means it can't survive without humans."
To tell the truth, I'd be happy if my little birdes couldn't fly.
It'd save me alot of trouble.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts